Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Maryland Deer

Old 11-23-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Maryland Deer

Hi all I am new here and was wondering if anyone could tell me about deer hunting in the woodmont WMA around Hancock Maryland. I will be heading down there Saturday for there opener.
Thanks in advance
Old 11-23-2005, 07:35 PM

Default RE: Maryland Deer

Hey RW- welcome.
I hunt in Clear Spring, MD which is about 15 miles east of Hancock. I'm not too familiar with Woodmont, but a buddy of mine killed a WHOPPER of a buck in Hancock about 10 years ago. If I remember correctly, it was an eleven point that scored about 160 (which is unheard of for Washington County, MD).
Hopefully the same will happen to you! Good luck on Saturday.

Jim
Old 11-24-2005, 02:05 AM

Just ask one of the 10,000 bumpkins dressed from head to toe in orange that you will see there how the hunting is. You mean you are going to a place you have never been to,nor scouted,on opening day of firearms season????? Just sit next to the big oak tree that has a beech tree right behind it....
Old 11-24-2005, 06:33 AM

Yea I am . I am going with my daughters boyfriend and his hunting buddies they have been going down there for a few years now, so he knows the area but all he has said is there will be alot of guys but taht there are also alot of deer. just got ask last weekend so no I have not had time to scout the area which I don't like but will have to deal with this time.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Redwolf,

Good luck hunting with the masses. I, for one, would really like to hear about your trip. I hunted Maryland public land for many years so I am sure you will have a story or two.

SteveFinMD
Old 11-24-2005, 11:42 AM

I killed allot of squirrels in MD when I was in the military. If I saw a deer, I better shoot it before someone else did, usually right near me. I did see a huge buck around 11 AM at the end of the season. Some guy in a tree stand shot it before I could squeeze the trigger. I recommend moving to Montana or Alaska. MV out!
Old 11-24-2005, 05:55 PM

MontanaVet
believe it or not I lived in both Alaska and Montana. Hunted plenty of Caribou in AK. and I worked as a guide for 2 yrs out af Hamilton Mt. My guide license was for Idaho in the Selway Bitterroot area. Just thought this hunt in Md would be interesting.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:28 PM

Scouting isnt really required on the first day of firearms on MD public land. A flack jacket may be required.....find a couple good looking trails or some thick cover and setup. All rules go out the window on opening day, people will have deer running every which way, just be ready when they come running by and try not to get shot.