Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Maryland Sika Deer >

Maryland Sika Deer

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maryland Sika Deer

Old 09-14-2007, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Maryland Sika Deer

Just wanted to share a few picks of Sika Deer with everyone... We have them all over my farm. I have never spent the time there in the early season. I decided to get cameras in there this year and will be bowhunting. I typically hunt the farm for muzzleloader and rifle season. I hope to see some stags on my next batch of pictures or even better when I am in my stand. Ill be hunting tomorrow as it is the Maryland opener. I have to say aslo that there were more than just sikas on my camera. I will share the whitetail pics later. Have a great season everyone. I hope to start posting more again as the season goes on.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Maryland Sika Deer

Ahhh the baby elk of the east Coast. Go check your camera this weekend and see if you have any pics of some stags. Who would ever think you could hear a bugle in MD, or a squeaky bugle anyway lol.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:20 AM

That is so freaky looking. Looks like something you see in South America or something. Nice pics.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard they have a distinctly different flavor than Whitetails. Do you know if that is true?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are fun to hunt. Good luck with them.

By the way, there chirping drives me insane!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very cool, we don't get to see them often on here and they are something I would love to hunt one day. Very, very kewl.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:43 AM
bigcountry

They do taste distinctively different than whitetail. I hunt them every year.

I think its a much lower success rate than whitetail. I have connected with 4 of em. One a nice 5 pt stag.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Big Country is right. They taste much different than whitetails. I have hunted them for the last 4 years and been successful (lucky) each year with my bow. They are in the elk family and taste much like our western elk. I really enjoy the meat. Good luck and wear your waders.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can non-residents hunt the Sika? If so, when and where? Thanks!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:59 AM

i beleive you can hunt them the same as you can hunt whitetails, just got to find them. the tags and everything are the same i believe. i have shot one last year and plan to shoot another this year if i can find them. they are very vocal. they bugle alot. i shot a little spike. i agree with bigcountry, they are much more elusive, but its great to hear them in the moring in your stand. it will make the hair raise and really if you dont know what your hunting, you would never believe the bugle was a deer lol, but it is. they are very cool. much smaller than a whitetail also,

Quick Reply: Maryland Sika Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.