Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Butchering Costs

Old 11-10-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Butchering Costs

This year, to be exact 3 days ago, I shot my first mule deer. My uncle said that dressed he wasaround 100 pounds probably more. But I was wondering what you guys usually pay to make deer jerky and salami? How much money am I probably looking at here?
thanks mark
Old 11-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Butchering Costs

it realy depends on how you wont to do it you can cook it in a oven or jerky cooker or dehatrate it then you have to deciede wether you are going to ground it up and run it throw a jerky gun or blaster which is similer to a clauking gun then there are all so jerky slicers that look like cube steak machine

cabelas has kits that start out at 49.99 has the gun season and a rack if you wotn to make them in the oven but you will either have to grind the meat up your self or have it done at a loc. butcher
Old 11-10-2005, 05:34 PM

You should make your own jerky. All you need is a dehydrator! You can experiment with different spices too.I usually use ground deer burgerso it does'nt cure to tough. I've never made salami but I'm going to check into it. My butcher wants $11.50 a pound to make jerky, plus $65.00 to butcher and $20.00 extra for the custom stuff. Pretty steep thats why I make my own!
Old 11-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I paid $80 to my butcher for my last doe a few weeks ago. He took out the backstraps and tenderloins, all the rest was made into summer sausage. GOOD summer sausage. (I think I'll head to the fridge for a few more slices right now)
Old 11-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Trout, jerky is a healthy price here in Sask if done by a butcher. You'd probably be looking around 5.00/lb, this is wet weight cost not final product. So if you want jerky ask your butcher to take out some roasts or steaks then make your own with a dehyrator (you can pick a good one up at walmart for 30 buck range- American Harvester).If you ain't much for cooking orattempting thingshead to wholesale sports and pick up some High Mountain jerky spice(of the flavoring you like)/cure ($8/package - will do approx. 15lbs of jerky). All you need to do is cut the meat into strips and follow the directions. About 4-6 hours you'll have jerky.

Summer sausage usually is the same price as smoked sausage $2-3/lb. Give Prairie Meats a call, they do a nice job on Summer Sausage and good price. Drakes also makes nice summer but aren't cheap!! Calling around will get you the costs.

BTW all charge a carcass disposal fee 15-20 bucks last I heard.

Whatever you do don't take it to European...they pretty much gaurantee you won't get YOUR DEER back...YUK!