Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First post, a question:

Old 11-10-2005, 08:07 AM

Default First post, a question:

Hi everybody. Nice forum. I have a question regarding the influence of a full moon on a deer's daytime activity. Are they more or less active or is it irrelevant?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:39 AM

Default RE: First post, a question:

A big moon means more light at night and so perhaps more feeding and movement of the Deer during those times. So. . .I try to time my trips out to times with less moon if I can. But. . I don't stay home if I get a chance to go and the moon is full. . . .
Old 11-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

yes they claim the "better time" to hunt after a full moon is during the midday hours (10-2). With all the available light during the night, they will feed and browse throughout the night. They will bedown more before daylight hours as opposed to just after because they've been up and about all night. They are likely to get up and browse again during the day.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Fork Horn

The full moon causes deer to feed more at night. Thus causing the mid-day feeding to increase. Deer usually feer every 4-6 hours. So after a full moon the deer tend to feed more during mid-day.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the info y'all. Gun season starts here tomorrow and the moon will be pretty full. The weather will be great since a front just will be beginning to move out and the temps will still be in the 30's at night. I'm stoked. There's nothing like putting meat in the freezer on opening day!
Old 11-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Please help me understand this.

Deer move/feed more at night when the moon is full? WHY?

Around here it seems about when hunting season comes in, ALOT of them are moving day & night!
Old 11-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

.Hunting and Fishing Solunar (sun and moon phase) Calendar
Old 11-14-2005, 07:38 PM

I agree totally although things do happen out in the "Deer" woods that our so called experts can not explain. I personnally have seen more deer movement between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm during these times. Best of luck!
Old 11-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

midday is usually better with full moon, however check peak activity times with the moon and give it two hours each side of that. For example, today the moon will be full in a couple of days, so one would think midday activity, so I drove around at 8 this morning and deer were moving everywhere, so I went hunting and saw good movement for an hour or so then notta. It was windy so I decided to still hunt, I quickly came upon a doe and two fawns bedded down 50 yards away so I sat down to see if a buck would cruise through and find them. I sat there for over two hours and notta, those deer never moved, so finally at 1:15 I had to leave to appease the wife. I got home and checked the moon guide and peak movement was9 am, dead on