Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 2 Question Post!!! Please Help me Out!!! >

2 Question Post!!! Please Help me Out!!!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2 Question Post!!! Please Help me Out!!!

Old 11-27-2004, 09:33 PM

Default 2 Question Post!!! Please Help me Out!!!

Hey All,
Got some good news and then some BAD !!!
Well one of my buddies turned me on too a Nice Huntin Spot.
Well Everyone at the Spot that morning Told me that you dont see many Deer In thw WMA area but when you do see one its big . Well i walked about 1/2 mile to a ridge lookin down into a ticket . Got their about 30 mins before daylight and up the tree i went. Well about 15 till 7:00 that morning i heard something coming my way , and at first i thought it was a Big Doe but turns out to be just a Monster buck . Well he's coming down the side of the ridge and hits the Ticket lose site of him , but then 10 mins later he starts up the hill headed right for my stand so at about 65 yards away i Take aim with my 7mm Shot , I miss him clean dunno how but he runs off snortin . Ok i am sure i missed i looked everywhere for blood no sign anywhere. Ok now my question is Rifle closed down until December 14 tomarrow being 11/28 with be the last day from a week or 2. Ok Hers the Question.
Well the Buck be back since i shot at him ?? He's a Monster
Also I'm a bit afraid huntin the WMA by myself because its a bear reserve. Will i be alright to go their by myself ??? I'm Scared that something is gonna get me in them woods ?? Any help would be glady appreciated !!! Also i found a rub line of his on this feild on top of the ridge ?? Any help would glady be took yall . I'm 17 years old and scared to death going in the woods at 4:00 in the morning . I just dont wanna walk up on a bear cause their on the land by the hand fulls and once you kill a deer poeple said that they would be all over you tryin to take it from ya . But Any help Will be took and used.
Sorry so Long winded.
Thanks Alot ,
Redneckduckman17
Old 11-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2 Question Post!!! Please Help me Out!!!

what state are you in? you're talking about black bears--right? It can be a little unnerving--try it in Griz country. Isn't there anybody that would want to hunt there w/you. Sound like you have found a good spot--if that one doesn't come back--maybe another will--if you can overcome your fear--go back--if it makes you feel better--go in early and make a lot of noise gettin in there. then give it plenty of time to calm down--if you can't then just wait until you have a little bit of daylight--might not be quite as good--but better than not going--and if you kill something and are scared to deal w/it by yourself--just mark it--might piss around it too-and go get help and come back--is that an option? If it were griz country--i'd say get a partner for sure. hope that helps
hb
Old 11-27-2004, 10:15 PM

Regarding whether or not the buck will return, the best answer is, "it depends". How big is the WMA? Is is high-fenced? If the place you were hunting was the buck's home range, chances are good at seeing him again. Deer have excellent hearing but have trouble identifying short, loud, high-frequency noises such as a rifle report. If the buck was looking for does, it could be that he's off his home range and just an interloper. If there are some unbred does in the area, he'll probably hang out in the area for awhile. The upside is that, since it's a WMA, he's used to hunters being around and has probably been exposed to rifle report, so he won't go far.

As for your question on bears, I will yield to someone with better knowledge of that subject than myself. No bears in my part of Texas. Have you thought about talking to the WMA staff? They can give you a reliable quote on how many bears occupy the region, as well as a probability of encountering one. Don't trust hearsay and tall tales--arm yourself with the facts. Good luck!

Andy
Old 11-27-2004, 10:15 PM

Its Black Bears , and whenever you kill one their on top of the deer within 15 to 20 mins or so says people . Everyone that hunts their has buddies that go in their with them . Never seen anyone go in alone . Dad will not go with me . all in all i think it creeps him out too. I dunno whats around with me but if i step on a twig and it snaps i am up against a Tree with my 7Mag ready to blow something away. I'm just plain out SCARED i hate to say it but i'm a sissy dunno why i think about Jason and that dude for Halloween , i keep thinkin their gonna jump out and get me. BUT Rifle season wehnever it opens back up I'm going back in their , It might be my last time going in but by gosh come hell or high waters i going in their and bring that buck out with me . think about askin dad if i can barrow the 38. and take it with me i believe it would make me feel better. IF dad would just walk in their to the Feild with me and stand till i get to my tree i would be alright just know he's their for me if something happens. i now boys let it go i'm a CHICKEN laugh it up !!!
Old 11-27-2004, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

nobody is gonna laugh--it happens to everybody at one time or another----If those bears really act that way (ask a local biologist or other dnr official)--keep that gun loaded and drag that deer to an area where you can see all around real well before gutting it--your idea w/your dad is a good one. what state?
hb
Old 11-27-2004, 10:43 PM

Dont be scared of black bears we shot one ay my deer stand last year also we seen a monster one about 500lbs and it was more scared of us then we were of it...im only 16 and a coyote squealed about 35yds away from me..thats they make me scared more when ur waitin to get picked up in the evening 35 mins after dark and a pack off them start squealing.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Its possible the bears will get you.But really I think the stories people are telling you about the bears are all over the deer in 15 minutes stretched that story just a country mile. Just hunt
Old 11-28-2004, 07:30 AM

We have a good amount of bears in NJ and i see them often everytime they are running away from me i wouldnt worry about them.
Good luck and get out there.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:49 AM

I agree with cardeer.I believe some truth has been stretched a bit,or a lot.Black bear are just as scared as you.I cant imagine that they are so hungry as to be all over a hunters deer in a few short minutes.If you left it overnight I can see it,but not in 20 minutes.

Also as was reported,deer have trouble figuring out where or what a loud noise from a gun is.Thats why they sometimes just go back to eating or walking or whatever when someone misses.Some will even run towards the sound because they dont know where it came from.

I think the buck will indeed be back but if this is his bedroom area you need to be scent free as possible and in the stand early before he gets home.

As for the 32,you would be better off throwing a handful of rocks at a bear.You are carring a 7mm mag,thats enough protection but you can buy some pepper bear spray and carry that on your belt...Good luck
Old 11-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

what state are you in? Some states wont allow you to bring a handgun in with you. Be thankful your huntin with a rifle and not a bow if you do cross a black bear haha. Anyway i have never seen one and know little about them, but I would love to see one.
As for being scared, just take a deep breath and enjoy the woods. The way I look at you are probably safer in the woods with a bunch of animals then you are in society with a bunch of people. So hold sacred the time you spend in there, and do some research on how to act if a bear does approach you( like dont run, or bend down to get something, look big and make loud noises to let him know your not cool with him being there)

Oh and best of luck on that buck!!! Great story if you were near me i would head out with ya!!! but there aint no rifle season in my state.

Jim