Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Accidentally broke law - need advice >

Accidentally broke law - need advice

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Accidentally broke law - need advice

Old 11-10-2005, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Accidentally broke law - need advice

It irritates the hell out of me that the burden of knowing the law is being laid entirely on me.
Now that is funny. Who would you like it to be laid on?? You're the one in the woods.

General Season: November 5 - January 1 (November 24 - 27, no antlerless permit required except on LAMPS or MLD property; November 5 - 23 and November 28 - January 1, antlerless by permit only)

I'm not sure how this is too confusing.

Know your rules and regs before pullingthe trigger no matter how "confusing" they are.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hummm - seems clear to me.You needed a permit.
Hummm - Jurisdiction issue - I bet not.Fish and Game can issue a citation anywhere - to God if they see fit and it will stick like superglue.There is NO jurisdiction issue. Sounds like you made an honest mistake. Bite the bullet and Pay It.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

You could just go to court and explain to the judge.

That you were in the best of your knowlage coplying with all
Of the hunting laws regulations that apply.

That you tagged the deer.
And that you followed the regulations as best as you knew to.

That you were not in no way trying to hunt out side of
What the laws and regulations are.

Maybe the judge will consider what happened
and let you off with a just warning.

After all this was your first offance and you were trying to
comply with all laws and regulations.

Good Luck

jrbsr

Old 11-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

To bad. I do feel for you but most states regulations are getting so confusing you almost need to be a law school grad to understand them. But the law is the law. There was a 8 year old child fishing in this area and his parents knew absolutly nothing about the rules so when when he caught a small fish they tracked down a warden that was stationed at the lake to see if it was leagal and they were fined for an undersized fish. Sometimes common sense seems lost
Old 11-10-2005, 07:06 PM

Plead insanity!

lol j/k, but that permit law sounds pretty stupid. start cutting up your own deer then you won't hav to worry about it . i swear these game commissions dream up alot of crazy laws just so they have something to fine people for and make money. one turkey season here in pa about 6 of my family members and i parked and walked bck int he woods about 200 yards to listen for any gobbles. had no guns, no camo, just regular dress. it was junior day so we couldnt hunt anyway we just wanted to see if we could hear anything for the next week. next thing w eknow officer doushe bag comes running up and cites us for no orange, EVEN THOUGH we werent hunting he still fined us. what a jerk
Old 11-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

there is a difference between antlerless tag and antlerless permit? i dont get how you can buy a tag for somehting without getting a required permit for it.

people were complaining in the NE forum about how you can apply for a doe tag in ny for an area with no tags available. And i wouldnt be suprised to see the same people bashing you in here for this.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: rcw280

To bad. I do feel for you but most states regulations are getting so confusing you almost need to be a law school grad to understand them. But the law is the law. There was a 8 year old child fishing in this area and his parents knew absolutly nothing about the rules so when when he caught a small fish they tracked down a warden that was stationed at the lake to see if it was leagal and they were fined for an undersized fish. Sometimes common sense seems lost
Well common sense would have been to release the fish. If they caught it and took it out of the water without knowing any regs, they should have been cited. Why not?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:12 AM

When I complained about bearing the entire burden of obeying the law, I was subscribing to the basic notion that anything in America is legal unless specifically forbidden. Yes, as a citizen I bear the burden of obeying the law, but the government has a responsibility for communicating the law. I view this as the same as if I had turned on a street and was ticketed for driving up a one-way street. The problem would be that there was no sign indicating that it was a one-way street. I broke the law, but had no way of knowing I was doing so.

I don't get this "roll over and take it" attitude that so many of my fellows have out there. Law enforcement and politicians are working for us, not the other way around. When they can't write a coherent set of laws or regulations, they are unreasonable to enforce them harshly.
Maybe some of my spirit of freedom comes from holding a Concealed Handgun License in Texas. While I was being ticketed by the Game Warden, I had my Smith & Wesson concealed on my hip the whole time. I did follow the required procedure regarding this issue, and the Game Warden was unfazed. Most people he is ticketing are heavily armed.

After getting busted, I ran a search through the Outdoor Annual's PDF and found "antlerless permit" in there 308 times. Not one of those indicates how to obtain an anterless permit. No pricing infomation for an antlerless permit is included either. Is it any wonder that I thought the antlerless tag on the hunting license was the "antlerless permit"?

The old-timer who helped clean my deer had never taken an animal to a game processor. I could certainly ignore the laws, take deer out of season, and completely process them with no State interference, but what kind of example would that set for my 10-year old boy?

I have already spoken with a lawyer acquaintance who advised just talking honestly with the Justice of the Peace. I'm going to contact a local lawyer who has dealt with this JP. Frankly, I would rather give an attorney $250 than give it to the people who write and enforce these convoluted regulations. I would much rather give the $250 to a food bank.

Figure this out. I found another Texas county's list of fines and learned that they levy $255 for taking an antlerless deer without a permit. Oddly enough, they charge the same fine for taking a deer out of season. That seems a more grievous offense to me. It may be tricky to grasp this antlerless permit versus hunting license versus antlerless tag business, but "November 5 - January 1" is pretty clear.

Here are a couple more confusing samples from the 2005-2006 Texas Outdoor Annual:
"Completion of the log is not required for mule deer, or for white-tailed deer or mule deer lawfully taken under a MLD permit, LAMPS permit, TPWD Special Drawn Public Hunt permit, U.S. Forest Service antlerless permit, or on a Big Time Texas Hunt." Am I the only one who finds the mule deer info confusing?

WHITE-TAILED DEER HARVEST RESTRICTIONS (as used in County Listings):
MANAGED LANDS DEER (MLD) PERMITS: Permits issued to landowners with a TPWD-approved
Wildlife Management Plan. MLD permits allow hunters, at the discretion of the landowner or agent,

to exceed the county bag limit and (in some cases) to hunt during an extended season. All deer
taken on a property for which MLD permits have been issued must be tagged with the
appropriate type of MLD permit. NOTE: No license log entry or tag from a hunting license is
required for deer killed under a MLD permit (see license log requirement, pg. 65).

Exceed the county bag limit? Hunt during an extended season? No license log entry? No tag from a hunting license is required? Why is info related to such hunting mixed in with the pragraph I have to decipher on shooting bucks and antlerless deer?

Old 11-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that the deer season regulations seem to be confusing, but still clearly explains what is required.
"White-tailed Deer - Archery Season: October 1 - 30 (no antlerless permit required except on MLD property); General Season: November 5 - January 1 (November 24 - 27, no antlerless permit required except on LAMPS or MLD property; November 5 - 23 and November 28 - January 1, antlerless by permit only). Bag limit: 3 (1 buck and 2 antlerless, all seasons combined)."

Theregulations for having no antlerless permit seem more fit for archery.The rifle season is where it things change. I'll bet you can getthe lowest fine by going to court. Simply explain your case. You made an honest mistake!!

Old 11-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Typical Buck

Jeez you guys with all the high mighty cliche bombs of"ignorance is not an excuse" should chill out. This law was written by an idiot. This is, I am assuming a kid, or young man. Seeing as it is Texas and his first deer. Well i will congratulate you on doin the right thing and allowing the warden to take your deer and following up yourself.
I probably would have told him he was an ****** and that the law was written by a ****** and said what the ****** is an anterless tag?
Here in MA we have permits, and if you dont get a permit you dont have a pretend one either.

Jim

Watch the profanity and read rule #1

Quick Reply: Accidentally broke law - need advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.