Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Accidentally broke law - need advice >

Accidentally broke law - need advice

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Accidentally broke law - need advice

Old 11-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Accidentally broke law - need advice

Process your deer yourself next time and there wouldn't be a problem.
But seriously, you can get legal consultion from an attorney for free on the matter on the first visit. It seems kinda misleading to me an maybe an attorney can find a loophole. Its not like you poached it. Good luck.

Bobby
Old 11-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

There should be no reason to consult a lawyer. It seems you
just did'nt read the regulations well enough to understand and
that is your responsiblity. Sorry to hear it, but I don't think
you're going to have much of a case unless this court date
issue works out in your favor. Good luck.

PK
Old 11-09-2005, 08:32 PM

$250.00 is not really that bad. I'm sure if they wanted to they could have taken your weapon or your vehicle!Posession is nine tenths of the law and ignorance does not excuse this. Sorry about that man that really sucks but it could have been worse.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:51 PM

I think that the regulations could be worded better, no doubt.

When I read threw our regulations, if something sounds funny or doesn't make sense, I call or stop by the DNR and get clarification so I know what's what.

If our regulations read like yours, I would be asking for clarification so I fully understood it, and not assume that I understood it. Believe it or not, there is alot at stake for breaking hunting laws. IF you are ONLY looking at a $250 fine, pay it and learn from it. Hopefully your not looking at anything worse. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

then the regulation on anterless deer in your regulation is only what 2 lines ?.. if you think 2 lines are confusing try a whole paragraph on anterless deer...

but like many people have adviced you , if your unsure about a regulation get in contact with someone who can help you ... WMA office, game warden..etc..
Old 11-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

I think it is a crock of crap how they right laws. Here in MT I will spend some years over 2 to 4 hours on the phone with fish and game.What a joke.No one knows the laws I allway have to go though 3 to 4 people befor they can tell me any thing.Than when they do tell me what the law says half the time they say mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .Baby we shold look in to that,dosnt seem to make good sence dose it.

I would say best bet is get a leagal help.NO MATTER WHAT if you pay leagal help you can get out of anything.Better to pay than not get to hunt for years.

It is all about money.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:32 PM

I absolutely agree with you that game regs. are often confusing. This is true in every state i've hunted in. But, there's no doubt you mis-read the regs and broke the law. Like others, I think $250 is a pretty decent penalty - it could be a lot more.

My advice is to ask to speak personally with the JP. Talk to him/her about how you really intended to follow the regs, had no intention to break them, and really make it clear how upset, embarassed and ashameed you are about breaking the regs because you really, REALLY feel that regs are important and need to be followed. In other words, don't try to argue it. Then ask if the JP could consider reducing the fine or substitue something for it. The worst that can happen is you have the $250, but I think there's a good chance if you present yourself as someone who is law abiding (normally) and really wants to do the right thing, you might be surprised at how reasonable the JP might be.

NEXT time speak directly with an enforcement officer - they're almost always glad to talk to you - and find out in plain english exactly what you need to do in the area you're hunting. I do this all the time hunting and fishing. I always make sure tht I clearly understand the regs, because like I said, it's sometimes confusing. Good wishes and good luck to you
Old 11-09-2005, 10:34 PM

If the laws are that unclear I would definitely do something about it. Also, I would not enter a guilty plea. A guilty plea stays on your record. I would instead talk to the judge, offer to pay the $250 fine in exchange for keeping your hunting rights and enter a plea of "no contest" which doesn't mean you are admitting guilt...you are just agreeing to pay the fine. The county is just out for the money and they will probably work with you as long as you agree to pay the fine.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:20 PM

I agree with pleading no contest. Like Tom said, atleast you are not pleading guilt that will go on your record. If ya need to, send the JoP a gift basket and take him out to dinner (that was a joke)... I would find out for sure if you would lose your hunting license or not. If not, plead no contest and pay the fine, since it will probably be cheaper than to fight it....
Old 11-10-2005, 01:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Mr. Thompson,
I have 6 years of college and also see the hunting manual very confusing. I agree to the one gentlemen ..to process your own deer. Very simple and there are a few online step by step videos.

I noticed in your comment that you said"Thank you Lord." I use that term alot as I am a Chrisitian as well. Friend , what I would do is use this as a serious lesson. If you are not clear of the laws call a wildlife official. I call them a lot. ..or e-mail them. My wife is much smarter than me and she can't figure them out either. In our state each WMA has it's own quota, special quotas , etc. You really do gotta do your homework. Consider yourself blessed. Our deer fines start at 450.00. I just talked to a game warden last month. However; accidental deer that were shotare just confiscated and given to charities. Take a deep breath ...let it out easy ,write out the check and pay the fine.
God bless,
Chuck7

Again, I feel for ya. That is really a shame.

Quick Reply: Accidentally broke law - need advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.