Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Central Mo., first day hunting >

Central Mo., first day hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Central Mo., first day hunting

Old 10-06-2002, 07:19 PM

Default Central Mo., first day hunting

Saturday was my first day out bow hunting this year and I was lucky to see 7 does and 2 bucks....Great day!!!
Was wondering how my brothers and sisters in Mid Missori have done so far and has anyone seen much rubbing activity yet

Scotty B

scott boain
Old 10-07-2002, 09:18 PM

Default RE: Central Mo., first day hunting

i found my first scrapes today put a cam on them to see what is working the area had broken down a pretty good tree,cool weather the last few days seemed to get the boys thinking a little more a bout it.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:30 AM

I an terribly late in getting out my stands this year due to work. But last Friday (10-6-02) I saw two bucks while hanging my stand. It was too windy to hunt for me. They were chasing each other around the bottom of a draw about 1:00 in the afternoon. Not huge bucks, just a couple of "basket racks", but it was still enjoyable seeing them. It also put a little fire under my butt to hurry and get into the timber!!
Old 10-08-2002, 10:56 AM

How does the acorn crop look. Heavy in this area. Food plots have gone cold.

Host of The Missouri Sportsmen's Radio Show

www.mosportsmen.com
Old 10-08-2002, 11:26 AM

I will second that notion, Horntagger. Acorns have gone wild. I have been hunting the skirts of a 25 acre alfalfa field that up until this past Friday had deer spotted on it on a daily basis for over 2 straight weeks. Since Friday, not a deer on the field.

The fortunate thing is this this property is loaded with big White Oaks. This weekend I'm moving off the field and hunting back in the oaks. Haven't had much time to scout so Saturday morning I will be walking in blind, ie...climbing a tree I haven't yet picked out.

Hunting the acorns is nothing new for me but having a good food plot is. At what point should I expect the deer to start heading back to the alfalfa field?
Old 10-08-2002, 12:46 PM

I would say it will be not until the leave hit the ground and cover up the acrons and make them hard to find.

I have heard of this before, but never have tried it but taking a leaf blower and clearing out the leaves and leaving the acrons exposed near a stand.

Sounds funny.

Host of The Missouri Sportsmen's Radio Show

www.mosportsmen.com