Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dermistad Beetles

Old 10-08-2002, 09:28 AM

Default Dermistad Beetles

Has anyone ever used Dermistad beetles (carpet beetles) to clean a skull for a European mount? I've boiled the skull and bleached it with peroxide before but I still get that yellow stain from the fat melting into the bone.

I see where you can order a colony of these beetles on-line now and I'm wondering how well they work?
Old 10-08-2002, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Dermistad Beetles

I think that beetles will be more trouble than they're worth for only the occasional skull. Boiling ang bleaching should work just as well. What kind of peroxide are you using? The standard peroxide you get in a bottle is not what you want. You will need to go to a hair salon and get some 40% peroxide. It is a two part mixture. Mix into a paste, and paint on the skull. Wrap the skull in plastic wrap to keep the moisture in. Let it set for a day or two. Afterwards, rinse off the peroxide and set it in the sun for a week or more. This really brings the white out. A light coat of white paint will also cover the yellow spots.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:03 PM

Default RE: Dermistad Beetles

European Skull Mounts

Have been doing this for last few years.

I hate to waste anything. So on younger bucks I go a european Skull Mounts - I like it better than the skull cap mounts.

Taxidermists use dermestid beetles to get skulls ready for museum or home display. Firm specializes in European mounts and presents its work.

Skull Taxidermy

http://www.skulltaxidermy.com/

This is another site. If you want to do something different and have a small buck or other animal you want to mount tell your taxidermist about this method of mounting.

Skulls Unlimited

http://www.skullsunlimited.com

I don't have the time at home to mess with it myself. I now other do it themselves, but I take this way.

Host of The Missouri Sportsmen's Radio Show

www.mosportsmen.com