Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Skinning

Old 10-25-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Skinning

Hey guys i was wondering what the best method for skinning and bleeding your kill would be? Any ino i could get woul be greatly appreciated. Like i'va said in another post I was a butcher on a swordfishing boat so can figure it out the i got the general basics.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Skinning

Never bleeded a biggame kill, shoot it in the lungs and dump the guts as soon as possible I see no need.

I prefer skinning where possible by hanging from the rear hocks on a grambel. Prior to hanging I cut off the rear legs at the knee joint & remove the trasal glands (this knife is either washed or replaced to ensure the meat isn't tainted by chance).I then will start skinning down the rear legs to expose the hock area for placement of the grambel hook to be hoisted up. I use a small block n tackle attached to a hook into the roof trusses in my garage. This allows me to hook a rope or cable through the BnT and the grambel hook. I then either hoist by hand(depending on the size) or vehicle (if large or by myself). Once hoisted I chain it suspended and remove the cable. I don't like the animal to be higher than my reach ability is comfortable. You can also acheive this with a tree limb outside. Once hung I work from the rear down by pulling out the hide and using my knife to release it form the carcass, I try not to cut the meat as this exposes more surface to the air. Once you have the rear hams area released often by tugging down you releases the hide (especially if reasonably fresh) to the front shoulders area. I do the same with the fronts following the under side seem of the leg up to the shoulder point and then release it all the way around. On the front legs I leave the lower leg attached for aiding in the skinning process (this way it can be tucked in between your legs and allows you both hands to skin). I will now skin down the the furthest point of the neck and use my knife to cut the meat to the spinal column, once this is done I simply grab the deer by the antlers or nose/head on a doe and twist it to remove the head and hide. I then remove excess fat, as it is easier when warm. The only thing left is make sure the carcass is clean and tidy, for this I use cool water with a little vinegar and clean clothes. I wipe down the internal and exterior of the carcass switching/rinsing as required. If you want the front lower legs can be cut off now or when you butcher. I simply score the skin around the knee joint making sure the hide and liagments are released, then simply twist them off. A saw can also be used if you prefer!

A little hard to type or explain but hopefully it helps you some. Good Luck