Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Help skinning a fox.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help skinning a fox.

I have wacked several predators this winter, and am getting a fox and coyote tanned by my taxi. I want to tan one of my other foxes myself. I am not sure how to properly skin a fox/small game. I usually sell my game whole. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 PM

Default RE: Help skinning a fox.

Nick if just for tanning skin it hanging from its back feet or at least on back foot. cut as much around the back feet as ya want to keep then on the inside of the back leg ya can see a fur linei usually slit it along that line keeping the long hair where it lays. cut from the ankle joint to the Vent carefull around the vent there are anal glands that can be cut and reall smell things up. cuttung around the vent i usually leave a inch or better the cut along the fur line to the other ankle. then comes the fun part the tail I will usually take the fox downlay it so the tail is laying flat the slit it down the center a tail puller comes in handy here after cutting usually 4-6 inchs i use a tail puller and just pull the bone out. then slice the tail clear to the tip.ont eh hide is free just keep pulling and working the fur off the body. (warning make sure it is completely thawed out) once you are to the front leggs I cut the front feet off and skin down to the nubb or ya can leave the feet on and skin them out it takes a while. ok next comes the head around the head there are several blood veins carefull around these especelly if there fresh blood is hard to get out of fox fur. be gentel around the eyes and ears and once yer at the tip of the nose yer ready to flesh the hide and strech it.You will need a fox strecher whn fleshing just be sure to get any red meat and fat off usualy there not a whole lot. then strech it 3-4 hr's later if its not to dry turn the hide and put back on the strecher. they dry different in differnt climate. If you even have a dought that the fox is to dry to turn wrap it in a luke warm towel for a few moments and then it should turnjust fine. Hope this help Ohh Yaa Hi iam a new guy from Missouri not really a know it all just done a few over tha last 30 yrs a trapping