Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scopes in the rain

Old 10-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Scopes in the rain

Are telescopic sights still effective in the rain or do rain droplets on the lenses interfere and make scopes troublesome? I'm talking about drizzle, sprinkles, or slow rain: I understand game doesn't move much when the rain is heavy. I'm not talking about scopes fogging due to trapped moisture inside the scope: I assume you solve that problem by buying a quality scope that is waterproof and nitrogen charged.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:45 AM

Default RE: Scopes in the rain

Scopes still work well in the rain. Still, one of the best investments I've made is a set of scope caps that pop open silently with the touch of a finger. They make it easier to carry the rifle without worrying about scratching the lens or getting mud or snow on the lens. I especially like not having to worry about the snow when hunting in NW Wisconsin.

I don't recall the brand of caps that I use, but they were pretty cheap - maybe $10 or $20.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like Devo suggest a set of Butler Creek Flip up scope covers eliminates a lot of worry about the lense surface and also helps protect the lens as well. The investment is meager considering the return IMHO, a set runs under 20 bucks. Make sure you get the right ones as eyepieces and objectives are different(the best option is take your rifle or if your buying a scope find the proper Bulter Creeks before leaving the store).

Here is a link to them at cabelas: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&rid=&i ndexId=cat20758&navAction=push&navCount=1& amp;parentType=index&parentId=cat20758&id= 0031747
Old 10-24-2005, 11:48 AM

Ditto on the flip up lense covers.They are availablevirtually at every store that sells guns/ammo/accessories including gun shops, on-line and big box stores. I think mine are Butler Creek? There is often a guide for the proper size for various scopes (like the guide you use to find the right windshield wipers at the autoparts store). Even so, it's best to know the diameter of your objective and eyepiece or bring the scope in and fit it. Also,for many sizes, there are availble see-through flip up covers so you can actually look through the cover as it is protecting the lense. Likeusing a clear filter on your cameral lense to protect it.

They help to keep the lenses clean so you are less likely to have dirt and dust on it when you see an animal, also you will have to clean it less often which is a good thing. Of course, it protects against damage, as well.

I like them a lot better than the kind that you need to remove completely (various styles which often/usually dangle from scope w/ rubber band when they're removed). There's anotherkind of rubber cover that covers the scope completely. I don''t think that's necessary - I've used my Leupold in the rain many, many times and it has never been harmed. If you were hunting in wet snow or freezing rain it might be a good deal though.

Issues in the rain: droplets on lenses or fog on external lenses (good scopes should not have internal fogging!). I keep a suitable lense brush and cloth on hand to wipe clean. Remember, these are good lenses so you should follow the same care as cleaning a camera lense. This simply means brushing if possible and/or using a lense cloth or a suitable, clean soft cloth. Generally paper is not good for a fine lense, but a soft flannel shirt is.

Issues with the pop-open caps: they are rubber and fit tightly on the scope. Over time, they can tend to show rub marks onthe scope. This is a very minor issue - it doesn't really harm the scope, but if you want your scope to look new/mint in 10 years, it won't. Myself, if I were looking at a used scope with these rub marks, it wouldn't bother me because I'd be putting flip up covers on it again anyway.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:31 PM

I would worry less about rain drops on the lens than I would about the lens fogging up. This happens in cold wet weather. If you get a scope you should be fine. If you get a 50 dollar scope from walmart don't be suprised if it fogs up in crappy weather.

Paul