Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

scopes in the rain

Old 04-21-2006, 08:06 AM

Default scopes in the rain

has anybody had problems with not being able to see through their scope because the lens was covered in water from it raining. just wondering cause it rains alot during turkey season and i want to get a scope but was thinking about the problems rain could cause.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scopes in the rain

I use a scope and haven't ever had problems in the rain. But I wouldn't go too cheap because you get what you pay for. I've always been used to shooting guns (rifles) with scopes on them. Then my first year turkey hunting, I used a 12 ga without a scope. Called in a nice Tom, but when I shot, I wasn't looking down the barrell because I was used to shooting through scopes. I was achored too high on the stock. Sure enough I breasted the bird and he flew away. The next year I bought a new shotgun tapped for scope mounts and put a turkey scope on it and haven't missed a bird in eight years since I put the scope on. Matter of fact, I'm only shooting a 3" but between my turkey load, choke, and scope, last year I knocked one down at 53 yards. Which is a poke for a 3"
Old 04-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Flip up caps work perfect ...BT
Old 04-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Try the Bushnell Banner 3x9 muzzleloader/shotgun scope these work well in the rain and they won't break the bank.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:39 PM

I have a Simmons Prodiamond 2X shotgun scope on my Mossy 835. I bought it used and have punished it myself for the last 6 seasons. I love having a scope and will always have one on my turkey gun. Last year I sat in the rain twice. I took some extra precaution to keep the scope dry---but even when it got wet---I could still see plenty well enough to aim at a turkey. I have had no problems with the scope and there are so many advantages to one.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

I too use the flip up covers and they work great.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the Bushnell Elite 3200 with Raingaurd for my rifle and I'm sure you could get that model in the right size for your shotgun ,it work's great at keeping the rain off the len's .

nubo