Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Sightron Scopes?/ Scopes in General? >

Sightron Scopes?/ Scopes in General?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sightron Scopes?/ Scopes in General?

Old 12-30-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Sightron Scopes?/ Scopes in General?

Anyone use Sightron scopes? What do you think of them?
I need a couple scopes for my Knight Elite and was looking at the Sightron lower end models. I want a scope for target shooting like a 3x9 or so..And for hunting during muzzle season I am restricted to a 1X.
Any thoughts on what scopes are the best on a budget?? But be good and hold up!
Old 12-30-2005, 03:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sightron Scopes?/ Scopes in General?

I mounted a Sightron I 3-4x40 on my Knight Wolverine LK-II and it has outstanding clarity and focus. I really like this scope. No matter what you sight on at what distance, there seems to be no re-focus necessary and the light gathering ability of this scope is just plain impressive. I got the scope for $129.00 and it is as nice as many of the more expensive scopes I have on some of my center fire rifles...
Old 12-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

I have no experience with Sightron, but they come highly recommended in the link below:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/scopes_muzzleloaders.htm

I almost bought a Sightron but opted fora Nikon Buckmaster 3X9 from Ebay for $132.00 and I really like it. Very bright and clear with a lifetime warrenty to boot. I really can't imagine needing a "better" scope than this one for shots that will rarely exceed 150 yards with my Omega.

I also picked up a new Nikon Prostaff 2X7 on Ebay for $97.00 for another gun. I hunted with the gun this past w/end and was very impressed with the clarity of this "low-end" scope. The eye relief from both the Buckmaster and Prostaff is good (3.5 inches plus).

Can't help you on the 1X issue. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

There are 1x scopes out there. In Wisconsin we are not allowed optics on our muzzleloaders also. So a lot of them use the 1x or RED DOTS or the fiber optic sights. Thompson Center has a 1x scope for sale. Also I think Nikon makes one...

http://www.tcarms.com/TC_HTML/access_scopes_1x.htm
Old 12-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

bloodtrail455

I think that you will always find that Leupold is the standard and something like a Ziess is way up there on cloud nine... A lot of the scope choice will be the $$'s you want to put into the purchase.

I run the gammet abit from expensive Leupolds down to a inexpensive BSA or Tasco World Class which ever you consider the cheapest.

The Sightron II is quite a scope by everything I have read, the Sightron I is the affordable model of the really good scope, with a few modifications to make it more competitive. I can not give you first hand information as I do not have one.

And since you said "Scopes in General", I would add:

I have not been able to justify the price of the Leupolds for a ML, although i probably should. I have compromised a bit by getting two 3x9x40 Bushnell Elite 3200's with the dual-X reticle. The biggest and most important feature, other clarity and lightgathering,on them for me has been the Rain Guard lenses - they really do work - very seldom do I ever resort to scope covers any more. I have one 3x9x40 Bushnell Trophy mounted on a ML with a Mil-Dot reticle - it is a shorter scope than normal and may require extended rings to mount it correctly. I have a Tasco 3x9x40 World Class mounted on my A&H with a Mil-dot reticle... This is a very inexpensive scope and everybody says they are crap and will not last, so I bought a back-up Bushnell just to have on the shelf. Well, the darn thing has been on for 4 or 5 years now and just keeps on ticking.

The one thing I would suggest look hard at a Mil-dot reticle for ML shooting they are a real advantage as the range increases and your projectile drops faster and faster. I would consider the Elites the best scope I own including the Leupold's if I could get a Mil-Dot reticle in them.

Good luck in your search...

Old 12-30-2005, 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I mounted a Sightron I 3-4x40 on my Knight Wolverine LK-II and it has outstanding clarity and focus. I really like this scope. No matter what you sight on at what distance, there seems to be no re-focus necessary and the light gathering ability of this scope is just plain impressive. I got the scope for $129.00 and it is as nice as many of the more expensive scopes I have on some of my center fire rifles...
cayugad....Where did you get your scope from? I also am in Wisconsin..Madison area.......
Old 12-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought my scope from Natchez Shooter's Supply http://www.natchezss.com./ they had then on sale a while back and I have always wanted one. A different poster, Triple Se7en in one of his posts a while back told me about their quality. He was not wrong as usual. I really like the scope.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I mounted a Sightron I 3-4x40 on my Knight Wolverine LK-II
Shouldn't that be a 3x9x40?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Dominant Buck

you are correct sabot loader it is a 3x9 by 40 mm.. fingers must have had a mind of their own. The next scope I want to look at is a Mueller Red Dot. I have been watching for them to come on sale and if they do I might pick one of them up.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never used a Sightron in the field but I have looked through one mounted on a rifle. It was definately bright and clear. I prefer Leupold but the last scope I bought was a Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40. So far I am impressed with this scope as well.

I will soon find out how tough this particular scope is. This evening I was lowereing my rifle down out of the stand and the pullup rope broke. The rifle fellscope firstfrom about 12 feet. From the outside there is no visible damage but I will be suprised ifit is still zeroed. I cleaned it off and put it back in the safe. As soon as the season is over I will seeif it's still shootin straight.

Quick Reply: Sightron Scopes?/ Scopes in General?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.