Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 what to do ???? is he spooked ? >

what to do ???? is he spooked ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what to do ???? is he spooked ?

Old 10-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default what to do ???? is he spooked ?

well today was opening day in ga. I was not able to go out in the am, but made it out in the afternoon.

about 10 minutes before dark I heard something walking. I had put out some sent wicks with doe urine. not estrus, just plain doe urine. well I have not hunted here before and I was not sure where to expect the deer to come but I had an idea from the trails. well what i heard walking was a buck! a nice one too. I saw it walk up from my left behind me and almost to the scent wick.. well he was walking very slowly and lightly stomping with each step. kinda like a heavy walk. well he got within a few feet of the scent wick and stoped. at first I did not think it was a deer cause the body was so big. the mans property I hunt has a horse, and some ponies. well when I first saw it I was like what the heck??? and then I noticed it just had a huge body!! then when he turned I could see a nice rack. it was so close to dark I could not tell how manuy points though. I jsut noticed it was kinda wide. well where he stoped I pick up my gun and as I did he slowly turned and slowly walked off like he new something was not right but did nto know what. I cuold have shot, but I wanted a clear shot not a guess at a good shot.as hard as it was to not shoot I decided to wait untill another day when I could have a clear shot and see exactly how big it was....

so do you tihnk he is spooked to the point of not coming back in the morning or the next afternnon????

Old 10-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: what to do ???? is he spooked ?

so do you tihnk he is spooked to the point of not coming back in the morning or the next afternnon????
I think you will be ok.
Just give it a few days before you go back to be on the safe side.
If he knew it was you he probbly would have snorted at,
You before running away.

Also remember what day it was you saw him.
Like mon or tues.
Chances are he will be back on the same day that you saw him.

Any way Good Luck
Old 10-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

nah he'll prolly be back... if he just walked away rahter then ran away i don't think you spooked him... you'll know when you spook him...he'll be gone as fast as lightening...
Old 10-23-2005, 07:13 AM
Spike

Iwouldn't worry about the buck being spooked . He had come in to investigate the new scent in his area and when he didn't see another deer there he just turned and walked away. The only thing that I would do ismove my stand to another tree 20 to 30 yards away just to be on the safe side and give thestand a couple of days break. Try to set up on himin another location 400-600 yds away not to disturb your area you seen him in.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:27 AM

He will be back. Don't worry about. I agree if he knew it was you, he would have blew or stompped or something. I have seen the come back the next morning, so I think you wil be just fine.