Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

~~~~~Wind~~~~~

Old 10-16-2005, 12:36 PM

Default ~~~~~Wind~~~~~

Last night I went out into the woods and sat behind a tree on top of a hill with my deer call and rattling antlers. I called and sat there for about 3 hours. It pretty windy outside...about 15 -20 mph winds. May this be the reason for not seeing anything?

The wind was hitting me from my side and I was wearing scent free camo.

Could the wind somehow been the reason I didn't see anything?

Any info would be helpfull...i know there are a ton of other variables.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:56 PM

Default RE: ~~~~~Wind~~~~~

If the deer were in the direction the wind was coming from they probably wouldn't have heard you rattle
Old 10-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aidyn. . . I to hunt in central Ohio and it was tough last night. I got up in my climber about thirty feet and had to come back down because I was not feeling to well. Came to 15 and sat for three hours also but did not see anything until I got down and walked west into the wind back to the car and I had three does with forty yards of me. Wind puts deer on edge particularly if humans are around. Look for dried out river bottoms with acorns. Skidish about coming out into the open fields.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:56 PM

Wind will play a huge roll in what you do and don't see. Scent lock cloths help, but deer can still smell you. If you were watching/hunting the direction the wind was going, that's probably your main problem. If you know where they’re coming from, move a little ways and put yourself out of the direction of their noses. One more suggestion, try to have a couple different spots planned out and hunt them as the wind changes direction, or in other terms, according to the wind direction of a given day. Simple plan to help increase your success chances. This is just my two pennies, but I play the wind religiously!! And yes,it does pay off quit a bit! Hope this helps you out.....
Old 10-17-2005, 01:17 PM

Ok, thanks. I have one more question to tag on here. When setting up a tree stand how do you you want the wind blowing. I was thinking that you would want it hitting your side but I wasn't sure.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Look for dried out river bottoms with acorns. Skidish about coming out into the open fields.
This is a wise hunter, he is right on. Our farm has two woodlot in dried up river bottom, and they have some acorns. When the wind blows hard the deer are down in the bottoms!!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:17 AM

You want the wind to hit your face from the direction you know the deer are coming from. Or a direction the deer will not be able to smell you. Know what I mean? Theremay be many varations of this, just decide what you think is best.