Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattling??

Old 10-10-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Rattling??

Hey y'all, I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried rattling in Georgia. I have tried it a few times in central Georgia with no real response. I am going down to South Georgia (near Albany) over Thanksgiving Break to do some hunting and was seeing if anyone has rattled down there. Thanks for any help. Also, has anyone (not necessarily in Georgia) ever used a snort weeze? and in what circumstances? Thanks.
Good luck everyone this fall!
Old 10-10-2005, 11:42 PM

Default RE: Rattling??

I would post that in the regional forum, ull get a better response and advice.....goodluck, this year will be my first year using rattles, calls, and scents to
Old 10-11-2005, 01:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

seems deer in the east dont respond like deer in the west do
Old 10-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rattling is my favorite tool for drawing in buck. In the early part of the season use them sparingly. Just lightly touch the tips together, like they are checking each other out. Do this for about 30 or 40 seconds then stop and wait for about 30 minutes and do another set. During the rut, bang the heck out of them for a longer time and really make some noise, but be ready and keep alert because they will come in quickly. Experiment and you'll enjoy the results.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

deermaniac, I can't help you in specifics to your area question. However rattling success or lack of it has everything to do with the need of competing to breed...AKA buck to doe ratio! If the area has an out of check buck to doe ratio then the bucks really have no need to scrap as they can run over the hill and have their own girlfriend (s). So if you can find this info from other sources or observation then you'll have a better idea if rattling will be effective. However you can always try!!!

As to the snort/wheeze call I have used it, when a deer has not made me (either by visual or smell). I have used when I bumped deer or when deer happened across my location and I was wanting it to calm down. It has worked but it also has blown up in my face, as it gives that animal or animals your exact location.