Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

snorting deer

Old 10-11-2005, 11:08 AM

Default RE: snorting deer

trebliq the guys name is Peter Fidducia. He has a book out whitetail strategies you can pick it up for 15 bucks at barnes and nobles. He is very knowledgeable and it is a good read.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

I found out that if a deer snorts when it sees you and starts to run away, JUST SNORT RIGHT BACK AT IT. 90% of the time they stop and look back, and sometimes they even walk right back to you! I was out bowhunting the other day and I saw a doe, I got a shot but missed because my arrow was wobbling... dont ask me how though lol.. idk. Anyways she ran off and started snorting, so I did it back, the next thing I know I see her sneaking up towards me again, everytime I would move (cause it was after legal hours by now) she would run off down the hill, and I would snort and that deer would turn around and come right back within 15 yards everytime, and I was even standing out in the open. This has happened to me with bucks too. Bottom line, if you snort back, they will usually stop as soon as you snort at them.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:52 PM

thanks - that was the guys name - I did remember that he was wearing a filson hat and had some ideas on hunting that you don't see everyday!
Old 10-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

I saw that same show.I found it to be real interesting.I think that a snort call might be in my pocket next time out.Ron
Old 10-22-2005, 02:30 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that the deer snorting appears to be a social warning call.The stopping of the feet seems to be the deers way of trying to spook you. The deer watch for any movements.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: treblig

i saw an interesting show on this yesterday on oln - guy talking about the 4 different types of deer snorts. Alarm/Distress is 2 or 3 blows followed by short wheezing snorts as the deer get out of the area. Alarm is 2 or 3 snorts without running. It's just knowing something isn't right, but not too scared yet. Often they will move on in after this. The guy on the show was explaining the snort as a communication call, that can effectively call deer if done correctly. Also, his theory on stamping of foot was instinctive - they have a gland between hooves that secretes alarm scent when stomping the ground...for fawns etc to smell i guess.

the other 2 snorts were social snorts, also effective for luring deer in - wish i could remember the guys name.
INTERESTING ..THANKS FOP SHARING

DD