Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer snorting

Old 08-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default deer snorting

Last night I was out glassing I saw two bucks nice 4 point and I believe a 6 pointer. (I was sitting in my truck when I saw them) Tonight I went out again to see if they would come out again. (Sat next to a hay bale that was in the woods) The 4 pointer did, but caught me by surprise. I was sitting there looking across the hay field. I looked over there was that 4 pointer about 20 yards from me. He looked at me for a bit walked around at first it looked like he was going to head towards the hay field. He looked at me and snorted a few times and took off. Being a 4 pointer I am not going to take him once the season rolls around. My season doesnt start till october 1. will this have any negative affect on my hunting season? To bad he wasnt bigger I now know where his primary area is.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:56 PM

Default RE: deer snorting

Doubt it, he was either snorting out of fear as in "What the hell is that thing sitting on my dinner" or snorting out of pecking order "hey look at me, I will scare you off with my mighty snort"
By tommorrow he will have forgotten all about it.
We can't follow a deer from birth to death, but I'd bet that they snort at animals/people/objects daily.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes i agree with hopy i dont think it ruined your chances at all!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:12 PM

Oh yea also, did he stomp his hoof?
If he stomped or pawed his hoof, he was making a direct challenge to you.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope don't worry about the snort but I would be more careful when scouting to limit pressure you may put on the deer. Spotting scope and binos from a safe, hidden location would be my suggestion.

If he stomped or pawed his hoof, he was making a direct challenge to you.
Deer often stamp their front feet when alarmed to alert other deer of danger. The foot stomp may also be used to try to startle a predator and causing it to move or the deer to assess the object. The excess interdigital scent left on the ground during the foot stomp may also tell other deer that a deer felt endangered in the area where the scent was left.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:58 PM

Skeeter your just itching for a flame war aren't you. Or do you normally follow people around the boards like a psycho and post after every post they make.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

hahaha....not saying anything

even though i think both of you are right.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

PLEASE just adding to your comment, as it wasn't part of the original question so I quoted it with response about the foot stomp.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

That deer probably won't even be on your property once it sheds its velvet and splits up from any bachelor group it was in. I wouldn't worry about it, think of how many times you have spoked deer walking to your stand.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer often stamp their front feet when alarmed to alert other deer of danger. The foot stomp may also be used to try to startle a predator and causing it to move or the deer to assess the object. The excess interdigital scent left on the ground during the foot stomp may also tell other deer that a deer felt endangered in the area where the scent was left
Thank you skeeter for correcting that for me, i think hoopy might be a little on the touch side!

Quick Reply: deer snorting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.