Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

does snorting

Old 10-29-2002, 06:19 PM

Default does snorting

I been having allot of deer snort at me latly. I was down south in ohio and noticed it more then up here in nortern ohio. I havent washed my hunting clothes for about a month but let them hang out for a few days before i hunt and i also use non-scent fall blend. The first day of hunting season i had 3 bucks and 1 doe from 2-18 yards from the base of my tree and i was up about 20+ feet and only the doe noticed me. I was wondering about snorting back at them what would that do? I try not to move at all but they still snort and stomp there feet. Mosty all where does though, but i dont want them to spook and nice bucks come rut. Is there any thing i can do to prevent this and i do take the wind into my faver. Thanks james
Old 10-29-2002, 08:24 PM

Default RE: does snorting

spray your boots good with scent killer and let it dry before walking in
Old 10-29-2002, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a little theory as some people may not agree but this is first hand knowledge from this year. I was out in my stand for a early evening hunt and a doe busted me as she snorted and took off only about 15 yards but came right back towards me at about 20 years away and If I wanted to could of took her anytime I wanted. She hung around for about 15 minutes before walking off.

Second time I got snorted at I had another deer snort at what I guessed at about 100 yards away I couldn't see it but heard it far away. As I heard it I had deer all around me from 5 yards to 20 yards away as they just looked up then just began feeding again paying no mind to the other deer farther away. I just feel that just keep still and when the run away most of the time it will only be a short distance and stop and will try to find you agian which in my case they couldn't find me agian and came into shooting range. But I don't pay that much attention to it as I saw the deers reaction to what They did when I heard one from far away and they just didn't care.

Hope this helps

Brian

Old 10-31-2002, 02:44 PM

try showering before you go out with non scented soap. I notice a difference when I don't. Such as when I run to the woods after wook all stinky. When I have more time on the week-ends I will showere with non-scented soap. I agree with the boots. I spend allot of ime on all the scent stuff because I don't want that to be the difference between not getting a deer or not.

I agree that some times a deer may snort just because it may be uncomfortable but not alarmed. Stay still until they relax a little.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:43 PM

Thanks guys im going to have to pick up some soap. I havent used it yet, but plan to this weekend when i return to the woods. I also plan to let the non-scent dry before intering also. Thanks James
Old 10-31-2002, 04:56 PM

wash your clothes