Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 red dot vs. scope vs. open sights >

red dot vs. scope vs. open sights

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

red dot vs. scope vs. open sights

Old 10-05-2005, 12:40 PM

Default red dot vs. scope vs. open sights

I'm planning to purchase a 30-30 for hunting whitetails in the woods. I've hunted this area many times and the deer I've shot have all been within 50 yards,but could be as far as 80+. Witha normal variable scope, I always leave it set on the lowest power. I'm tending toward getting a simple fixed magnification (2.5or 4X) scope. Something compact but decent quality for light gathering.Last yearat the range I shot a friends' 30-30 with a red dot type sight and found that while it wascertainly precise enough for deer hunting, the red dot (and even the other reticles that you can switch to with his unit) was pretty crude as far as precision goes. When sighted on the target, it pretty much covered a large area as opposed to the precise "X" of a regular rifle scope. Unless convinced otherwise, I tend to likea regular scope reticle better. I don't know if I'd be a good candidate for opensights having 52 year old eyes that really aren't that great (I do wear my glasses when hunting though).

Any comments or suggestions - pro's and con's? Low light performance? Use with old eyes? Or is it a "don't over think this stuff" kind of thing?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 12:53 PM

Default RE: red dot vs. scope vs. open sights

ORIGINAL: zekeskar

Or is it a "don't over think this stuff" kind of thing?
There's my vote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:59 PM

In the spirit of overthinking this, I talked to a guy today who reminded me (I knew it, but didn't think of it) that the red dot scope relies on a battery. Just answered my question for me! No batteries for me.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:17 PM

There are a couple of companies that make a 4 power scope with a 40mm plus objective lens. I would try to look at a few of them at your local sporting goods store and see which one you liked the best. In the power range of the 30-30 (under 200 yards) you will be well served by the four power scope.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-06-2005, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Nick Bales

on a couple of occasions I've had trouble when I'm looking through one into the sun.....you can't see the dot.
hehe.. Ijust had to quote that...
Old 10-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

lol i only have 37 year old eyes(but need bi/focals) but the area i hunt is very dense with most shots in the 60 to 70 yard range. i just find it easier to use my open sites... as for those red dots... imho they are not reliable but that is just my humble opinion
Old 10-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

magnifed red dot my choice
Old 10-06-2005, 02:39 PM

4 power scope for sure. A scope, as well as a red dot gives you a single sighting plance which in turn is proven to improve accuracy. I would stay away from the red dot sights.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I like ascope with duplex reticle. Find someone with a life size deer target, measure off distance untill target fits (between chest and rump) inbetween thehorizantal bars on scope.
Lets say it's at 100yds, move to 125yds and the targetgets smaller by a hair,keep moving back by 25yds untillyou reach 200yds.You will have an idea of how farm the deer is within 200yds.Of course if the targethas passed the wide bars it's closer than 100yds.

Quick Reply: red dot vs. scope vs. open sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.