HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - red dot vs. scope vs. open sights
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 12:40 PM
zekeskar

Default red dot vs. scope vs. open sights

I'm planning to purchase a 30-30 for hunting whitetails in the woods. I've hunted this area many times and the deer I've shot have all been within 50 yards,but could be as far as 80+. Witha normal variable scope, I always leave it set on the lowest power. I'm tending toward getting a simple fixed magnification (2.5or 4X) scope. Something compact but decent quality for light gathering.Last yearat the range I shot a friends' 30-30 with a red dot type sight and found that while it wascertainly precise enough for deer hunting, the red dot (and even the other reticles that you can switch to with his unit) was pretty crude as far as precision goes. When sighted on the target, it pretty much covered a large area as opposed to the precise "X" of a regular rifle scope. Unless convinced otherwise, I tend to likea regular scope reticle better. I don't know if I'd be a good candidate for opensights having 52 year old eyes that really aren't that great (I do wear my glasses when hunting though).

Any comments or suggestions - pro's and con's? Low light performance? Use with old eyes? Or is it a "don't over think this stuff" kind of thing?

Thanks