Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

picking a bow

Old 09-29-2005, 08:13 PM

Default picking a bow

Hello i have been considering getting a bow. what would you recomend for a "beginner". I am competent so i dont want something that i am going to "out grow" within a year or two

Old 09-29-2005, 08:42 PM

Default RE: picking a bow

Might want to try the bowhunting forum up above. You'll get more answers there.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:44 PM

their are many of them out there, it doesn't take a $600 bow to get the job done,as long as its quiet and set up for you, it'll work fine,my first deer was with a $125 bear black mag bow,check with a bow shop, and he'll help tune it for you, and just starting out don't over practice,
Old 09-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

man that is a broad question, you may get better response on the bow hunting forum. but here is my 2 cents, find a shop you like, good staff that can get your bow back going when murphy comes for his visit(s)[:@], andhe will[&o], find out what your draw is, basically be "fitted" for a bow, arrows, rest, sights, and a release.then findthe brands you like, a lot of folks here like bowtech, i have owned in my 20+ years of bowhunting, mattews, champion,high country, browning, bear, person, all have been good to great bows, there is also parker, pse, jennings, etc.etc. the list goes on and on. i would go for brand and service as being the basis for my pick, good luck, there are a lot of good bows out there, my reason for suggesting a shop is based purely on the fact that if you by your bow from a good dealer, instead of one of the package deals, the good dealer is more inclined to "keep you in the field"
Old 09-30-2005, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto on the bowhunting forum suggestion. If I still had my moderator powers I would just put this over there. On the other hand, until one of them does, to give you a specific suggestion, try the PSE Nova. It is probably the most widely owned bow, ever. The reason is simple. PSE has had it in their lineup for at least 8 or 9 years now in one form or another. It is relatively inexpensive at around $200 bare bow and yet you still get a machined aluminum riser and the same PSE limbs that they use on many of their midpriced and higher end bow. Its overall design lends itself to be very forgiving because of the longer axle to axle and long brace height and most of the cam designs offered on it are very adjustable.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

Don't get caught up in all the hype about speed and all that other garbage. I haveused the same MacPherson for 10 years now, paid 250.00 for it and have taken quite a few deer with it. Get one that can be adjusted up to around 60-65 lbs. That is more than sufficient to kill a deer. Just make sure you can draw it straight back without raising your front arm. Anything else and you won't be able to get it back when it matter. Check out the bowhunting forum, lots of great advice.