Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cull Buck or Not???

Old 09-18-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Cull Buck or Not???

Here is a buck that I don't know what to do with. His body looks like he is an older deer. I have heard that if a buck doesn't have brow tines after a certain age, he should be taken out of the gene pool. Based on his antlers and body size, what do you think? Cull him this season (if given a chance) or not?
Thanks.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:26 PM

Default RE: Cull Buck or Not???

Definitely a big bodied, matured looking deer. Take a kid hunting and take him out of the gene pool.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree about him being a mature deer and, browtines or not, I would shoot him.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:28 PM

With out a doubt. I would have killed that deer 2 years ago. That deer is the perfect example of a cull buck. Even if that deer did have browtines it looks like he would still only be a 6 pointer which is no good. We try to cull out all six pointers if they are 2 1/2 or older. This deer looks 4 1/2 at least.... Cull him....
Old 09-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with the others. He should be better than that at his age.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HollidayHunter

Definitely a big bodied, matured looking deer. Take a kid hunting and take him out of the gene pool.
I agree whole heartily!!!
Old 09-18-2005, 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: TXhighrack

That deer is the perfect example of a cull buck. Even if that deer did have browtines it looks like he would still only be a 6 pointer which is no good.
I disagree as much as one could disagree. That's what makes the world go around, though. In my opinion, the word cull should not even be used in deer hunting. They're not culls, they are great harvests, and all of them should be a trophy to the shooter. To me, saying a six pointer is "no good" is no different than saying a 14 pointer is no good....plain not true. I'd definitely take that deer, but with more satisfatction than to call him a cull. This is nothing against TX or anybody else that says he's "bad" for the gene pool. It's just my opinion. Kill 'em, eat 'em and have a blast doing both.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

shoot him
Old 09-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also say shoot him.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:31 AM

Take him

Quick Reply: Cull Buck or Not???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.