Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Year

Old 09-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First Year

Here are a few tips for ya.

1. When you squeeze the trigger on your deer remember 4x4.
4 inches in back of th eshoulder and about 4 inches down. Tha tis a very good shot area.

2. Scout your area good looking for acorns and heavily used trails.

3. Keep still in your tree stand. Deer have awesome ears, eyes and nose. I was high up lastweek and a hog still smelled me out.

4. Never climb a tree stand with a loaded gun. Most of us have a rope tied to the stand and pull the gun up UNLOADED
5. If you are in a climber wear your safety harness.
6. Carry extra batteries for the flashlight.
7. Don't forget your skinnning knife. Cut the sex organs out as soon as possible.

8. Make sure of your target , don't shoot at silhouettes and noises.
9. You may want to bring a book. It can get boring.
10. Deer will look up so keep your movement at a minimum.

God bless and take pride in a good legal hunt ,if you score or not.
You will get better each year.

Chuck

Old 09-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

I KNOW THIS IS LONG BUT U MAY WANT TO READ IT I ALWAYS LIKE HEARING STUFF FROM KIDS MY AGE BECAUSE ITS INTERESTING..NO EFFENSE YOU VETERAN HUNTERS I TAKE ALL OF YOUR ADVICE YOU GUYS HAVE HELPED ME OUT ALOT>>>

i've been hunting for 5 years .. and I am 15 so we're around the same age..to me it seems like hunting is alot different for us youngins then the older guys...for one we are not near experienced as the veterans out there but after just 5 years i've learned alot mainly because of my family members that hunt and seasoned hunters and of course the guys on hunting net ... things start out slowly but if you get attached to hunting like i did then everythings just gonna start pourin in each and every time you go out...i learn something new everytime i go into the woods...such as new trails i've overlooked .. deer patterns for certain times of the year...its amazing how much new stuff u learn everytime you go out...when i first started hunting i hunted with both bow and gun as you are but i had a compound...my first deer came during gun season my first year... i had a 20 gauge single shot that wasnt worth a dang .. i had a few sabots with me...5 does come down the hill late afternoon as it was snowing .. the biggest one came 20 yards up to me seen me ran about 20 more yards and stopped...i got the buck fever even tho it was a doe... i shot and hit her in the hips took her right down.. she weighed 180 pounds...as mentioned in another post you will never forget your first field dress.. mine was very messy as everything inside the doe basically exploded... my 2nd year i shot a nice 6 point buck and i've taken a nice doe every year since with my bow and gun...
theres alot to learn and i stilll have many years ahead to learn it and so do you...u have to learn how to respect the animal and only shoot if you know your target and are sure of an ethical shot... the most gut twisting feeling is wounding a deer and not recovering it only to know that it probably died afew days later with u not recovering it...
SAFETY IS A MAJOR THING in the woods...u'll learn that and i still am
Here are a few tips to bow and gun:
BOW
1. Wind is a big factor as you have to get deer alot closer to you than you would with a gun .. preferably 30 yards and under but for your first year iwouldnt shoot over 20...
2. buck fever is gonna get you.. try to control yourself.. pick a spot on the deer right behind the shoulder about 4 inches and concentrate on that area and pull your shot off.
3. make sure you have plenty of practice and that your crossbow is tuned in..you dont want to be taking an untuned bow into the woods(another respect the animals note)
4. be very still and keep your eyes and ears open..try not to fall asleep as alot of people do in the woods...that big buck may just come by when ur sleepin..
5. know your distance in the woods.. use trailmarkers or tie pink ribbons to a tree 10 20 and 30 yards away.. it helps alot to know your distance because 30 yards in the woods is a long way and you want to be sure of your distance..
6. with a crossbow you wont have to worry bout drawing back but wait for a moment when the deers not watching you or in the open to raise your crossbow up.. preferably when its heads behind a tree or its looking the other way.. i've been busted many times because of this

GUN
1. Alot of the same tips for bow go for gun to.. safety is really important with a gun a slugs gonna travel a bit farther through the woods than your arrow..be sure of your target and its surroundings..
2. dont shoot anything illegal or at movement or sound
3. make sure your gun is sited in
4. keep your safety on until you're ready to shoot trust me on that one..
5. stay with your moms boyfriend dont wander off when he falls asleep.

Thats just a few tips ...if u want we can keep in touch ... let me know how your season goes and good luck!
... wat county do you live in .. in ohio...i'm in stark...

PS... ur lucky to be hunting in the big buck state!also dont be dissapointed in your first kill ..it doesnt have to be a monster ...good luck and safe hunting
Old 09-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Fork Horn

Like White tail deer said aim small miss small aim big miss big.. When going to shoot a deer aim for the exact spot you want to hit tight to the back crease of the front leg to hit the vitals/heart. aim for the exact hair on the deer that you want to hit and you will see the difference that it makes... good luck you will never turn back youll be adicted for life.
JOE
Old 09-28-2005, 09:26 AM

I have a 13 year old son who took his first deer last year, a doe. Good luck, and just be realistic in your expectations and content to simply be a part of the hunt.