Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE? >

SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

Old 09-26-2005, 11:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

My opinion is you don't tip in the circumstance you are talking about. To repeat -- you have paid for a high dollar outfitted hunt and the guide's role comes down to driving you to the blind, picking you up from the blind, skinning your kill, and caping your trophy. This is not the case of the guide who is working 19 hours per day 7 days per week (hard to believe anyone can work 19 hours per day 7 days per week for the duration of a hunting season). Now the guide might be working . . . but he isn't working for the hunter during the day.
The hunts are high dollar b/c hunters what to shoot trophy class animals and these areas have that potential. The huntersure the heck don't get those animals with a guide just being a taxi twice a day then sitting on his duff! He may not be holding your hand or whatever during the day but darn straight he is putting in hours before and during your hunt to make sure you see game and the quality you expect...if not those high dollar spots would not be filled each fall!!!!!! Guiding trophy whitetail is different then calling or spot n stalking type hunt, the effort as I mentioned is often not seen by the hunter. You are sitting in a blind or blinds b/c he has done the leg work, you get moved b/c he is doing his work and ultimately if you pull the pin he has done his job to the highest level. They are very different hunts no question but contrary to popular belief trophy whitetails aren't tied up to every tree up here and it takes effort to put hunters in the right position. With 2 to 1 ratio a guide can't possibly do his job and be with you all day when chasing trophy whitetails. It is a different hunt and requires different techniques...the animals don't bugle back at you to let you know where they are hanging up, they don't come running when you sound like a love sick female and you certainly can't go chasing them in any area I have ever guided. In essence it is a waiting and game of numbers, with the sheer amount of likely places to find mature deer a guide must know the lay of the land, the animals, their movements, weather effects, etc..this is not done by just driving a hunter to a blind...it takes work/knowledge just like getting a bull to come in by way of calling. So I say hawg wash on the guide isn't working idea, I can't recall a day whenI guided when I did stop till my head hit the pilla..which was usually long after my hunters where dreaming about sugar plums.

The next time the stars line up when your sitting in your blind...remember he put you their for a reason and it wasn't just a roll of the dice that morning! I am not saying you should tip, that is entirely up to youbut maybe look at your guide as more than just a glorified Taxi Driver. Even if is just a WT deer...it allowed you to live your "DREAM"!
Old 09-27-2005, 12:28 AM

Does anyone know approximately what % of the hunt fee that you pay the outfitter gets paid to the guide? Do they make a set % like a commission, or do they get paid flat daily or weekly?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

The next time the stars line up when your sitting in your blind...remember he put you their for a reason and it wasn't just a roll of the dice that morning! I am not saying you should tip, that is entirely up to youbut maybe look at your guide as more than just a glorified Taxi Driver. Even if is just a WT deer...it allowed you to live your "DREAM"!
[/quote]

I can appreciate your input BUT again ....Isn't thatwhat your buying when you pay that outfitter $3500 - $5000 ... you surly would not pay that kind of money to an outfitter if you did not think he had done his homework in knowing where to place the stands ...its what they all advertise and try and sell you on when your talking with them prior to sending your deposit ... they always want to boast of their success rate ... their hard work ... Im mean are you just sending them the HUGE fee just to be on their property and the rest is extra... I don't think so BUT thatsjust my humble opinion ..

Roll Tide
DD

Old 09-27-2005, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just curious DD, what kind of a tip did you give the guide when you shot your big deer? I'm guessing $500 +.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

TIMBER NOT TO BE RUDE BUT I WOULD NOT DISCLOSE IF OR WHAT I MAY HAVE TIPPED .... BUT HE HAS INVITED ME BACK FOR NEXT YEAR IF I WANT TO COME ....

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 09-27-2005, 08:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Some guys on here are as tight as a Winchester Wad![:-]
Old 09-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

YEP AND IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE REB ....

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 09-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

NOW, what gave you the idea I was implying to you?
Old 09-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've just started guiding hunts last season. Here's the deal. I tag out for spring turkey in the first week, then I start booking guys to take hunting.

To guarantee that I have a hunter to take, I charge the most bargain-basement rates to attract guys on short-notice, and only charge if we kill a bird. ($350)

I do this for fun, not for money. Last year, I never accepted any tips, but my hunters always offered. I greatly appreciated the offer, but I refused and explained that it wasn't about money for me.

Guiding is hard work, and you really put forth a substantial amount of time and effort, not to mention that these guys are getting access to some awesome areas, as well as a free lesson in turkey hunting from one of the best callers around. It's nice to see that they're trying to show some appreciation. I let 'em buy me lunch or something, and call it square.

If I did it for a living, I would expect a tip, unless the tip was already figured into the price. Just ask your outfitter what your guide is being paid - they'll tell you. Also, if you see a guy go the extra mile, make it worth his while, so he does it again for the next guy. If he sticks it to you, don't offer him anything.

If he's driving his own vehicle, and putting on some mileage, make sure you offer to fill his tank, or at least kick in some dough for gas.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Surely to god you realize their are more inputs than just property when you go on a guided hunt. How much does it cost you to hunt deer in your back yard...forget shells, guns, tags but fuel to scout/hunt, equipment required, food, lodging if required,etc??? I will not bring myself to add up how much it costs me to chasing whitetails each fall b/c it would probably make me cry.It cost to hunt, we all know that and nothing is assured for those costs.

My only reason for posting to this thread was your attitude or comments that guide was nothing more than a driver. I could really care less if you tip or not..it means squat to me personally. I just was hoping you'd possibly seea guide is instrumental to your hunt asthe outfitter himselfand certainly is doing more than just taking you to and fro.

If a guide took the same attitude you "the hunter" would be nothing more than a shooter...since thats really all your doing!!! This was never my attitude but if the shoe was put on the other foot how would you react?

Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply: SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.