Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE? >

SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

Old 09-25-2005, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

I HAVE A QUESTION TO POSE TO THE HUNTERS THAT HAVE BEEN ON OUTFITTED WT DEERHUNTS WHERE A GUIDE WAS USED. I HAVE BEEN LUCKEY ENOUGH TO GO ON A FEW OUTFITTED HUNTS (CANADA) WHERE ONCE THERE THE OUTFITTER TURNED YOU OVER TO A GUIDE. THE GUIDE OFCOURSE TAKES YOU TO AND FROM THE STAND ...ONCE IN YOUR STAND HE GENERALLY IS OFF SOMEWHERE WORKING ON THE OUTITTERS PROPERTY AND IF YOUR LUCKY ENOUGH TO HARVEST A BUCK HE WILL TAKE CARE OF THEFIELD DRESSING ...HELP YOU LOAD IT UP TO GET IT BACK TO CAMP AND SKIN AND CAPE IT OUT. SO NOW FOR MY QUESTION ...SHOULD IT BE THE HUNTERS RESPONSABILITY TO TIP THE GUIDE?THE ONES OF YOU THAT HAVE HUNTED CANADA KNOW ITS NOT CHEAP WHEN YOU TAKE IN CONSIDERATION THE COST OF THE EXTRA EQUIPMENT THAT YOU HAVE TO BUY TO HUNT UP THERE ..THE AIR FARE ... LICENSE AND TAG... AND THE COST OF THE HUNT ... I FOR ONE THINK THAT THE OUTFITTER SHOULD BE PAYING THE GUIDE TO DO THE WORK I MENTIONED ABOVE IF HE DOES NOT WANT TO DO IT HIMSELF ... I THINK THAT SHOULD BEINCLUDED IN THE PRICE OF THE HUNT ... AND IF YOU GET EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE FROM YOUR GUIDE ( OVER AND ABOVE ) THEN ITSUP TO YOU IF YOU WANT TO TIP OR NOT BUT NOT AND OBIGATION ... THEN SOME EVEN EXPECT YOU TO TIP THE COOK ... LET ME SAY I AM NOT A TIGHT WAD BUT I DO NOT LIKE TO BE TAKEN ADVATAGE OF EITHER .. WHEN I GO ON A HUNT LIKE THIS AND PAY THE PRICE OF WHAT THESE OUTFITTERS WANTI EXPECT GOOD SERVICE WITHOUT HAVING TO TIP FOR IT .... NOW I KNOW SOME OF YOU WILL SAY THAT THERE SHOULD BE AN UNDERSTANDING WITH THE HUNTER AND OUTFITTER BEFORE THE HUNT AND I UNDERSTAND THAT AND ITS NOT A QUESTION WHETHER THE GUIDE DESERVES TO BE PAID BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY HE DOESBUT MY QUESTION IS SHOULD THESE OUTFITTERS EXPECT YOU TO PAY A TIP TO THEIR EMPLOYEE'S FOR A SERVICE YOU SHOULD EXPECT TO GET ANYWAY ON TOP OF THE COST OF THE HUNT...WHATS YOUR OPINION?

ROLL TIDE
DD
Old 09-25-2005, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

Lets look at this from the otherside of the coin. I've spent my days as just a guide and not an outfitter. Now I' am both but here's the real deal on how guides are hired and treated. Guides are hired mostly in a seasonal position most do odd jobs all year so they can do their on true love hunt. An outfitter will hire them on a average for about $400 a week. But for the 18 to 19hrs a day all week long a western guide puts in it works out to about $4.50 an hour. Yeah amazing isn't it. Its not the outfitters responsiblilty to tip the guide for the hunter. Sometimes the outfitter will split up a tip that he gets to the guides. I'm glad my business is a family one with no outside help it keeps things flowing smoothly.

If a client kills a animal and had a time of their life they should aleast give the cook and the guide something. Is $20 a bank buster? Even if a person does not kill and had a great time this should be the case.

Usually the only people that never tipped in my experiences were rude tightass people. Don't be a rude person.

One client just barely had enough money to make the trip of a lifetime for a working class man. He had saved three years to come kill an elk on a guided hunt, his dreams were everything he expected. After the kill and back at camp he walked up to me all sad faced and shook my hand and gave me three cans of copenhagen and said its all I can do. I'll remember his gesture of thanks forever. The real tip was seeing the man's smile on his face after his dream was on the ground. Also one of very few men that actually helped me take care of the animal after the kill. That's a real person. Thanks Ted.

Tip the cook also they work hard and alot of hours. And for god sakes be a fellow man.

One note on the other side of the coin if the hunt is a horrible disaster because of the outfitters arrangements and responsibility then by all means keep the money in your pocket.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:56 AM

i worked for tips at one of my former jobs but i think if you make the choice to do those types of jobs if you want the tips you go the extra mile you also know going in you are only guaranteed the pay not tips when i go out to eat i normally expect to tip the folks working now that tip depends on the service i get if your guide is good show him slide him some cash if he isn't any good don't give him much now for me i don't charge to guide on public land and i only do it to help friends and a few out of towner's and I'm good at it but i have a real job that pays the bills so i only guide 4 weeks a year and Sundays during deer season i don't do tips we keep it low key mostly i do handicap and youth I'm almost always booked up but i have no desire to do it as a job or business and every year i try to teach what i know to a new hunter i also try to learn from some of the seasoned hunters maybee when i retire ill do the full deal
Old 09-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I figure this just like tipping at a restaurant. If the service and food is great they get a generous tip. If not so great, the tip with reflect their efforts. If a guide really puts forth an effort to find the game and get you in a position to make a reasonable shot, you own him for his efforts even if you miss the shot. He did his part the rest is up to you.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its not the outfitters responsiblilty to tip the guide for the hunter. Sometimes the outfitter will split up a tip that he gets to the guides. I'm glad my business is a family one with no outside help it keeps things flowing smoothly.

CHEROKEE I HAVE TO AGREE ITS NOT THE OUTFITTERS JOB TO TIP THE GUIDE BUT I WOULD HAVE TO ASK YOU AS AN OUTFITTER WHY YOU WOULD ONLY PAY A GOOD GUIDE $4.50 AN HR? I ASSUME BECAUSE THAT LOW OF A WAGE ALLOWS YOU THE OUTFITTER TO NET MORE PROFIT ... I ALSO AGREE THAT IF THE GUIDE IS EXCEPTIOANL IN WHAT HE DOES THEN HE DESERVES A"REASONABLE" TIP IF I SHOOT AND WOUND AND ANIMAL AND WE HAVE TO TRACK IT THROUGH THE BUSH SEVERAL 100 YARDS OR IFDEER MOVEMENT IS EXTREAMLY SLOW AND BECAUSE OF HIS PRE SCOUTING HE MOVES HIS CLIENT INTO AN AREA THAT NETS A SHOOTER ...BUT I HONESTLYTHINK THE OUTFITTER IS ASKING TO MUCH TO EXPECT A TIP FOR THE COOK WHEN MOST OUTFITTERS I HAVE DELT WITH MAKE GREAT HOME COOKED MEALS ASPART OF THEIR PITCH WHEN THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL YOU A HUNT ...SO ONCE IVE COMMITED TO BUY THE HUNT I HAVE TO THINK IVE BOUGHT THE GOOD COOKING AND THE GOOD HUNTING ...IM NOT TRYING TO SPLIT HAIRS HERE ... I PERSONALLY WOULDPREFER THE OUTFITTER TO CHARGE ME $500.00 MORE FOR THE HUNT SO HE CAN PAY HIS GUIDEAND COOK WHAT THERE WORTHTHEN TO"EXPECT" ME TO TIP FOR GOOD SERVICE WHEN AFTER WHAT MOST YOU GUYS CHARGE FOR THESE HUNTS ( MOST ARE WORTH IT ) THAT A HUNTER SHOULD EXPECT GOOD SERVICE ... AND I MAY BE WRONG ..BUT IT JUST RUBS ME WRONG ...ITS OK FOR A OUTFITTER TO PAY A GUIDE $4.50 AND HR AND TAKE ADVATAGE OF THE GUIDE BUT ITS NOT OK FOR A HUNTER TO EXPECT GOOD SERVICE WITHOUT A TIP ON A $3500 TO $5500 WT DEER HUNT .. THATS THE POINT I AM WANTING TO DISCUSS .. LIKE I SAID MAYBE I AM WRONG ..IF SO I AM MAN ENOUGH TO ADMIT IT ..THATS WHY I HAVE POSTED THIS QUESTION

DD
Old 09-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Igo woodland caribou hunting in Newfoundland which necessitates a guide and feel that a tip, if deserved, is a gererous gesture. The guides don't get paid much from the outfitter and work hard to show the client a memorable time.I always bringa little extra money to show my appreciation to the people who make myexperiance great. I use the same outfitter, cook and guide every year and they are like family.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Champlain I can appreciate your gester on an Elk or Bouhunt where the guide it with you most every miniute of the hunting day and with all the walking and work that is involved with Elk or Bouhunting ... but when someone just drives you to a blind and ..lets you out ...you set for 11 hrs and then he pics you up ....well anyway like I said I could be wrong ....

DD
Old 09-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I see no problem with offering a modest tip. $20 does not seem like to much.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

I see no problem with offering a modest tip. $20 does not seem like to much.

More like $300-$400! He has to be a guide and be with
you when you take the animaland help you packing it
out. Not one like DD mention, that is not a guide.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:42 PM

I have been on one guided hunt. The guide I had was with me at all times, and worked his butt off for me. I tipped him $100 because he deserved it. I would have tipped more had the hunt been more expensive, or the guide had to work longer. We were out for a full day, not a week. If a guide just drops you off and picks you up, I would suggest just playing it by ear. Like, how was his attitude with you? Did he directly help you succeed in your hunt, or was it purely luck? I would factor in those things and make a decision after the hunt. JMHO

Quick Reply: SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.