Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE? >

SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

Old 09-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

Whitetail Deer, Moose, Elk, North America, South America, Europe, Africa, who gives a damn? It's the same concept.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

As I stated on my original post,I understand your outlook on this.But wishing some thing were different doesn't make it so.Anyone who is in business gives their best efforts and service to those that provide them with the greatest financial rewards.Thats how they survive and thrive.I certainly hope that courtesy and decency and sincerity still matter.If you have a not so great trip and don't intend to go back then don't tip.
If you are going back to the outfitter where you shot that beautiful buck we have seen so much of,you may want to consider tipping.
It really comes down to supply and demand,If an outfitter can book solid year after year with repeat hunters who are generous,why would they need or want to book again with a non tipper?There are so many othe relements that should be taken in to consideration,did you have a good attitude,did you pitch in with chores or other things to help out,that may be enough for the outfitter to recognize your a decent guy.But if you came in to camp wreaking of money with either your stories or the equipment you have and they work their butt off to give you a great hunt and then you don't tip,how do you think they will feel about your coming back?This is all really logical stuff.
Good luck to you! I hope where ever you go you have a great hunt!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not all the same concept really, different hunts means different levels of effort by the guide. If a guide is with me all day, using his knowledge and experience working the elk call, the lay of the land, setting me up and calling in bulls for me, this is different than a guide who puts me in his truck, drives me to a stand, hands me a radio and leaves.

One is lots of full time effort, the other is a taxi driver.

Do each deserve a tip? That's your call, but it is like the buffet analogy, a waitress came to your table and took your order and said "buffet is over there". Both get tips, one worked more and did more and was responsible for more and deserves more.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: Bob H in NH

It's not all the same concept really, different hunts means different levels of effort by the guide. If a guide is with me all day, using his knowledge and experience working the elk call, the lay of the land, setting me up and calling in bulls for me, this is different than a guide who puts me in his truck, drives me to a stand, hands me a radio and leaves.

wow thank you Bob ...I think you undertsnad what I am trying to get across ... some on here (Jimmy Vee ) thinkthat I am trying to cheat the guide and I think I have made myself clear I think he deserves to make a fair living and a fair wage .... TSOC thank you for your input as well ... I respect your opinion ...

DD
Old 09-26-2005, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Delete
Old 09-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Delete
Old 09-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

DD:

My opinion is you don't tip in the circumstance you are talking about. To repeat -- you have paid for a high dollar outfitted hunt and the guide's role comes down to driving you to the blind, picking you up from the blind, skinning your kill, and caping your trophy. This is not the case of the guide who is working 19 hours per day 7 days per week (hard to believe anyone can work 19 hours per day 7 days per week for the duration of a hunting season). Now the guide might be working . . . but he isn't working for the hunter during the day. In this circumstance the outfitter needs to pay the "guide" enough to make it worth his while to do the work -- whatever it is.

If the hunt involved the guide spending daylight hunting hours with me and perhaps one other hunter scambling around the mountains to find a good animal, that is another story. In that case I might well be inclined to tip.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: tsoc

As I stated on my original post,I understand your outlook on this.But wishing some thing were different doesn't make it so.Anyone who is in business gives their best efforts and service to those that provide them with the greatest financial rewards.Thats how they survive and thrive.I certainly hope that courtesy and decency and sincerity still matter.If you have a not so great trip and don't intend to go back then don't tip.
If you are going back to the outfitter where you shot that beautiful buck we have seen so much of,you may want to consider tipping.

WHY TSOCWHAT NICE BUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??

DD
Old 09-26-2005, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know that big knarly nasty stud that your holding in your photograph!You are right to be proud!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

THANK YOU MY FRIEND ... THAT IS A LIFE LONG DREAM ..TOOK ME 25 YEARS TO FINALLY HAVE THE STARS LINE UP JUST RIGHT .. I AM VERY PROUD AND THANK THE GOOD LORD EVERYTIME I LOOK AT THAT MOUNT... I WOULD POST ANOTHER PICTURE OF IT HERE BUT HUMILITY WON'T ALLOW IT ;&gt)

ROLL TIDE

DD

Quick Reply: SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.