Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE? >

SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

Old 09-25-2005, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

Champlain I can appreciate your gester on an Elk or Bouhunt where the guide it with you most every miniute of the hunting day and with all the walking and work that is involved with Elk or Bouhunting ... but when someone just drives you to a blind and ..lets you out ...you set for 11 hrs and then he pics you up ....well anyway like I said I could be wrong ....

DD
Doc you do make a good point. It probably will never get to that because I wouldn't be hunting anything where a guide would drop me off in a stand then go back to the cabin. My personal standards are to hunt, track, spot and try to harvest all game. The only guides I have any experience with is the guys up in NL at Snowshoe Lake. They all participate and interact with all the guys in camp. After I harvest we usually go back the next day and either pack it out or get it with an argo if possible. I always give the other guides a few bucks for helping with my animal. The outfitter retrieves all game by the agreement but I always insist on being part of the party. It is a good way to see more game and get to know some of the other guides and it is a blast. I can tell you from experience that they really do appreciate the tips and I enjoy giving them.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If he duz his part..Ill break him offa proper chunk

If heeze an ass..Ill opt to swap in the early going
Old 09-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a lot more that goes into it then just driving you to a blind and calling it quits. Who set up the blind? Who is the guy that keeps it baited? Who guts, capes, packs and ships your game? Who provides your lodging, and provides your company? Sure you could figure it all into the natural cost of a guided hunt and not leave a tip...but it's not figured in. This has been discussed already at length in the Big Game forum a number of months back.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

James thank you for your input but I respectfully disargree .. First of all I have always hunted out of a ground tent blind when in Canada so not a lot of effort in setting one up ... Secondly when it comes to gutting and capeing if you read most web sites of the outfitters they make a point to show that the price of the hunt includes this service along with preparing the meat for shipping although with all the hassle you get going through Customs Ive always left my meat and donated it ..... Thirdly lodging and meals are included in most WT deer hunts in Canada and is explained that way on the outfillers web site..Im not saying all do but I think you will find most are all inclusive ...Forth when you hunt Alberta there is no baiting so that is not a service provided although I do know that is something that happends in Saskatchawan ...Fifth this ain't the Big Game forum ...I am sure that when hunting big game the guide does a LOT more work then most of the guides for a WT deer hunt in Alberta or at least from what I have seen frommy four trips there... Saskatchawan might be a little different .... I think tiping a guide on a big game hunt would be like tiping a waiter after a four course meal ( well deserved )... and tiping a guide on a WT deer hunt in Alberta (in most cases) is like giving a tip at a buffett ... and just to clearify these guides are not looking for a $20.00 or a $50.00 tip they expect a $100.00 or more for a tip ...and so does the cook ..again James I respect your opinion its just that I disagree ..

DD
Old 09-25-2005, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have read your description of your particular hunt and I understand your sense of the amount of Work your guide is actually doing.I don't disagree with your logic,I guess it depends whether you ever intend to hunt again with that outfitter.I know it shouldn't be this way but who do you think is more likely to get a better hunt the hunter who hunts with the same outfitter every year and tip's generously or the returning hunter who doesn't tip or tips very meagerly?
Old 09-25-2005, 08:13 PM

I only hunt whitetails in Texas and Mexico, and I dont plan on hunting them anywhere else. But each year I book atleast one trophy buck hunt somewhere in the lone star state (almost always south texas) and/or in ole' Mexico. I personally have NO problem with leaving a nice tip. To me leaving a tip or "guide fee" is as much a part of the hunt as paying the outfitter. I generally always leave atleast $50 per day on a 5 day hunt. The least amount I've left a guide was $200 the most was over $1,000. Plus I normally leave $100 for the cook. I know if I was a guide I would want to be tipped..
Old 09-25-2005, 08:15 PM

I know it shouldn't be this way but who do you think is more likely to get a better hunt the hunter who hunts with the same outfitter every year and tip's generously or the returning hunter who doesn't tip or tips very meagerly?
This is another reason why I like to tip. Ranchers in this area are pretty tight nit. Word gets around when your an avid hunter who hunts on different ranches and with different people each season.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I ever go with an outfitter that relies on a guide and a cook to make my trip more successful and enjoyable I guarantee I will have a healthy tip available if the hunt and trip areenjoyable.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Spike

I've never been on a guided hunt, so I have no experience in whether to tip or not. I do wonder though, when you sign up for a hunt with an outfitter, isn't what you get for your money mentioned up front? If a guide to set you up in a stand and get the deer dressed and back to camp is included, then isn't that what you already paid for? If food is provided as part of the deal, are you not expecting someone to cook it?
Perhaps I am just a tightwad, I hope not. I have no problem with tipping when I feel I got more than what I was expecting in the original deal. However, why tip when you get only what is reasonably expected from an outfitter? Just because a guide agreed to work for an outfitter for low wages and expects tips is not reason enough for me to pay his way.

Old 09-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

a waiter after a four course meal ( well deserved )
DD, but all the waiter did was carry the plates form the kitchen to your table...so how is this really different then a whitetail guide taking you to a blind?

I worked as a Big game guide in Saskatchewan for Black Bear, Whitetails and Moose. All but the moose I did the same thing determined based on wind and activity where to take my hunters each morning. In my case I humped it much more during bear and whitetail season then I ever did when I was with my hunter the entire day/week during moose. Like you eluded to in Saskatchewan guides are also responsible for baits, so their is a lot of running and gunning in each day. However it doesn't matter where you guide or what, when you have hunters and more coming you can't afford to head back to base camp and sip coffee, if you take any pride in your work/service. Guiding is much more than 7 days withyou thehunter - a lot of time is spent in preparing, scoutingand having to change horses on the fly. Think of it as your own hunting in your home state, you don't just wake up one morning and say hey it's deer season I better go get me a buck!The guide is the heartbeat of the outfitter, some outfitters have time to scout and be active in the day to day hunting portion but far more have other things to tend too. They relay on the guides to make each trip enjoyable and ulitmately keep filling their slots each fall. Being I was on the opposite side of it, I know that every tip I received was due to my efforts and yes I expectedthem as well b/c I busted my nackers for each hunter I guided. It didn't matter if they had deep pockets or not, they all deserved the same effort and opportunity while under my care. 95% of the guys knew the guide was as essential as the outfitter and willing to show a token of appreciation at the end of the hunt, regardless if they where leaving with a filled or unfilled tag. In fact many cases the guys who didn't pull the pin where the most healthy tipper's. I can tell you I really appreciated the tipsmy hunters gave me, small or big it wasa gesture of gratitude and like getting a report card. You knew that when they came up to you how they were feeling, it wasn't what they handed you but how they handed it to you that told you how they felt about your service.

Tipping is a gesture of gratitude to a service performed, so everyone must evaluate and come up with their own perspective. Just remember the next time yougo on ahunt your guide has been working on your hunt well before you stepped on that plane..just to say a lot happens that the hunter don't see in way of preparing for the season. If all he needs to do is drive you to blinds then either he is well prepared or flying by the seat of his pants....but you make the call!!!!

Quick Reply: SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.