HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 09:35 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SHOULD THE HUNTER TIP A GUIDE?

a waiter after a four course meal ( well deserved )
DD, but all the waiter did was carry the plates form the kitchen to your table...so how is this really different then a whitetail guide taking you to a blind?

I worked as a Big game guide in Saskatchewan for Black Bear, Whitetails and Moose. All but the moose I did the same thing determined based on wind and activity where to take my hunters each morning. In my case I humped it much more during bear and whitetail season then I ever did when I was with my hunter the entire day/week during moose. Like you eluded to in Saskatchewan guides are also responsible for baits, so their is a lot of running and gunning in each day. However it doesn't matter where you guide or what, when you have hunters and more coming you can't afford to head back to base camp and sip coffee, if you take any pride in your work/service. Guiding is much more than 7 days withyou thehunter - a lot of time is spent in preparing, scoutingand having to change horses on the fly. Think of it as your own hunting in your home state, you don't just wake up one morning and say hey it's deer season I better go get me a buck!The guide is the heartbeat of the outfitter, some outfitters have time to scout and be active in the day to day hunting portion but far more have other things to tend too. They relay on the guides to make each trip enjoyable and ulitmately keep filling their slots each fall. Being I was on the opposite side of it, I know that every tip I received was due to my efforts and yes I expectedthem as well b/c I busted my nackers for each hunter I guided. It didn't matter if they had deep pockets or not, they all deserved the same effort and opportunity while under my care. 95% of the guys knew the guide was as essential as the outfitter and willing to show a token of appreciation at the end of the hunt, regardless if they where leaving with a filled or unfilled tag. In fact many cases the guys who didn't pull the pin where the most healthy tipper's. I can tell you I really appreciated the tipsmy hunters gave me, small or big it wasa gesture of gratitude and like getting a report card. You knew that when they came up to you how they were feeling, it wasn't what they handed you but how they handed it to you that told you how they felt about your service.

Tipping is a gesture of gratitude to a service performed, so everyone must evaluate and come up with their own perspective. Just remember the next time yougo on ahunt your guide has been working on your hunt well before you stepped on that plane..just to say a lot happens that the hunter don't see in way of preparing for the season. If all he needs to do is drive you to blinds then either he is well prepared or flying by the seat of his pants....but you make the call!!!!