Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

More groundblind ???

Old 09-15-2005, 07:08 PM

Default More groundblind ???

I bought a Hunter's View WigWam a couple of years ago for $50. It is comparable to the original Ameristep Doghouse.
I have not used it yet, but couldn't pass it up for the price. I am happy with the camo pattern and the guietness of the material, but don't know how waterproof it is.
If it leaks, what would you spray it with to make it more waterproof?
Do any of you wash your blinds with clothes wash to remove any UV brighteners?
I want to put in shoot thru windows. What would you use?
I thought about using the replacement windows that they sell for the Ameristep Doghouse.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: More groundblind ???

ORIGINAL: Bowman515

If it leaks, what would you spray it with to make it more waterproof?
i don't know about the other questions but on this i saw a bottle of stuff at bass pro in the clothing area that was supposed to waterproof whatever cloth you spray it on. i can't remember what it's called but i'm sure if you go on bass pro. com you could find it. good luck with your other questions.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

There may be a difference in material between the Hunters view and Ameristep models. I have the Doghouse and a Hunters View Waterfowler blind. The WFer is basically the same as the Doghouse but with a pop top roof for waterfowl shooting. The WFer is more of a thin canvas material while the Doghouse is defintely nylon. In any case I would simply spray some silicone waterproofing over them if you are worried. I have used both with and without waterproofing and noticed little difference.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think any real chemical you'd put on it to make it more waterproof would stink and stand out to a deer's nose.

Maybe you could use something natural like a wax or something?
Old 09-16-2005, 05:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Most pop-ups are fairly waterproof , all of mine are . If yours turns out not to be then Atsko Sno Seal will take care of it . Scent won't be a factor if the blind has been up long enough for the deer to check it out for a few days and get used to seeing it .
Old 09-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would tend to agree with Kevin. Many of the waterproofing products on the market designed for hunting use don't leave a residual smell...or if they do then a day or so outside will take care of it.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:36 PM

I'll have to agree with kevin and PA. My blind came from a yard sale( had been a kids play house) Not sure the brand, but good camo for my area and never leaked.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the advice.
I think that I will put it up in the backyard next time it rains as an experiment, and then go from there.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

what I did on my doghouse is use some 3M spray I got from the camping section at walmart. Then I applied seasm sealer on all the seams. (also from camping section).

The thing is, I did it in the spring, after season, then left it outside under my carport for several days to air it out.