Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting from a groundblind >

Shooting from a groundblind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting from a groundblind

Old 09-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting from a groundblind

Many of us are about to begin the deer season. Some of us are new at either bowhunting all together or potentially new at shootingfrom a groundblind.
I know it gets covered a lot but remember to practice in the position and in the clothes you will be shooting.
When you practice all year standingand then move into a seated position in a ground blind many things change. If you have not tried ityet you will soon see that your legs become obsticles to your shot.

My first practice shot last year from my groundblind was a rude awakening as the bottom limb from my bow slammed the ever loving Crap out of my knee.

You may be able to see in multiple directions in your ground blind but make sure you understand how to move while in a seated position and still put the bow into a good shooting position

Good luck and safe hunting
Old 09-15-2006, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting from a groundblind

Great Point Danny. I always start practicing from my blind about a week before opening day. By the way I see you are from H-town. I am originally from Huntington but I moved to Illinois 3 years ago. All of my family is still in Huntington so I miss it alot. However, one advantage of illinois is the deer hunting. c-ya and Go Herd!!!! By the way where do you hunt at around there. I used to hunt Beech Fork alot and I also had a farm out pritchard that I used to hunt.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Chris,
I hunt a small private area near West Pea Ridge by my house and a Beech Fork.
Unfortunatly, Doe in Cabell and out at Beech Fork is now a lottery and 14" spread restrictions on buck at Beech Fork now too.
My Daughter got her first on a youth hunt 2 seasons ago at Beech Fork right in the field by the gun range

Old 09-15-2006, 09:15 AM

Solid advise... the first time I tried a real seated blind hunt i had a good one on me and was unable to get the shoot off because I was completey uncordinated on the ground..

Tim
Old 09-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tim,
I find that my point of impact is the same as when standingbut the coordination and body position certainly gets some getting used to.

It was an eye opener to say the least when I first tried it. Everything really starts to get in the way. You legs, clothing, the blind.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:14 AM

Ditto. I hunted some and took a doe from a blind last year and it can be an adjustment. I was all over the place when I did my first practice session this year from a blind. It took an hour or so just to get my form down, sitting on a chair, shooting through mesh, being in a tighter space, etc. But by the second session I was right on. Just takes practice and getting used to it. Still, I find myself being much more careful with movement when drawing and aiming, etc. so I don't make contact with the blind or obstructions...
Old 09-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

right on Chucker,
You dont realize how far back you have to sit in a pop up blind to draw the bow until the first time you try it