Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My weekend w/ a groundblind. >

My weekend w/ a groundblind.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My weekend w/ a groundblind.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:16 AM

Default My weekend w/ a groundblind.

I just need to get this off my chest.

I hunted in a ground blind this weekend and maybe normal people have taller ground blinds but I'd say the one I was in was a joke.

I am not a tall guy, 5' 10", and this blind wasn't over 5 ft tall therefore I had just barely enough room to be on my knees and shoot w/o my bow hitting the top, and barely enough room to draw my bow and not have my elbow or the broadhead scratching the front and back. What a joke.

I did have a shot at a doe, 30yds broadside, but with the way I had to contort my body to draw and aim I missed by a mile.

Anyone else feel my frustrations w/ ground blinds or do you all have bigger blinds????
Old 10-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My weekend w/ a groundblind.

what type of blind is it? do you have a pop up or are you using natural vegetation?

pop ups are ok but i like building my own...you have to account for your equipment when setting up...i use a lil chair in my blinds...makes moving so much better and i can stand up real fast if needed...bet your knees will thank you if you got a chair...good luck and don't get discouraged...you'll work out all the lil quirks soon enough.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

Give the blind to your kids for a fort.I have hunted off the ground 90% of the time I hunt.I have never had a problem finding a stand to kill out of.I have tryed many blinds.There is 2 typs. 1st the light eazy to set up blind.Allways seem to small to me.The 2nd blind are big enough but hard to set up,cant pack them in the woods very far,And normaly never the color for where I would want to set it up.

Charles Bradford
Old 10-17-2005, 10:56 AM

I tried one last year and hated it, I'll stick to the trees.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:30 PM

Great for xbows and guns, not so much for compounds. But it sounds like you found that out the hard way.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:57 PM

Hunting ground blinds can an extremely successfull way of hunting IF and only IF you get the right set up. Before using a ground blind, set it up in your yard and practice shooting out of it. If you can't pullyour bowback confortably in it, don't use it! Personally, I hunt strictly out of man made ground blinds, using a combination of things found in the woods and camoflauge canvas. The biggest advantage of man made ground blinds clearly is you can make it as big or as small as you would like. Good luck and shoot 'em up!
Old 10-17-2005, 01:26 PM

Buy a Double Bull=====Problem Solved
Old 10-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

As you have found, you need to do your homework BEFORE you buy. Check out sizes, roof clearances and number of windows. I bought the outhouse blind as my first one. It works OK for one hunter with a firearm. No room for a bow or a partner. Now I have a doghouse with plenty of room for shooting a bow off a stool or my knees and enough room for my 12 year old son to hunt with me. They do work but I would suggest always get one larger than you think you will need.

Good luck,

SteveF
Old 10-17-2005, 02:46 PM

My husband has a blind that he has hunted out of for several years. We take it with us when we go bowhunting in West Texas. There is more than enough room for him to sit and shoot -- even with me in there with him filming (and he is 6'2"). We bought one this year that is tall enough for him to stand up and shoot his bow out of yet short enough for me to shoot out of sitting in a chair ... we set it up before we used it and he can lay down in it!! And both fold up into a bag with straps for easy packing in and out. We love them and are contemplating another one so we can put these two up and leave them and still have one to take to W. Texas this December. Our friend, on the other hand, let us borrow his for our first trip to W. Texas and it is definitely a one person with a gun blind. Too small to draw back a bow and too short to sit in a chair with a bow. But, perfect for a single person and a gun.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:10 AM

First off, it is a double bull, I don't know which model,and it was blown down and had a bracket cracked when we got there, so I don't think "Double bull" "problem solved" is the answer. I think I'll stick to the trees or make my own from now on, design them as big as I want then.

Quick Reply: My weekend w/ a groundblind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.