Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Have You Ever Been Busted By Blinking? >

Have You Ever Been Busted By Blinking?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have You Ever Been Busted By Blinking?

Old 09-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Have You Ever Been Busted By Blinking?

"Blinking"? No, can't say that I have. I typically shield my eyes with my bow when a deer is walking close by. I have, on the other hand, been busted for having to sit down because my legs hurt from some strange positions I have been caught in.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago, I was leaning aginst a tree looking down at a swamp. I heard something big coming my way thru the dead leaves. There was a hugh rock (about as big as a buick) about 20 yda away and this buck came from the other side of the rock and stopped in his tracks. We were both looking at each other. The stare-down lasted about 30 sec when I suddenly blinked. He was off, tail held high in a flash...I guess you could say, yea, I got busted for blinking.

Since then, as others have said, I avoid eye contact. I agree with cardeer that they may look at me as a threat - a predator.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well - I guess I'm not the only loony toon thats paranoid about lookin at a deers eye balls.

Wonder what Jackie Bushman or Tred Barta would say
Old 09-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never make eye contact, you'll get busted!!![:-]
Old 09-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

while hunting i have never been busted whatsoever.......but while i was scouting out of a new treestand spot about a month ago, i was just into the stand, and sat down and hung the binoculars up in the stand and as i put my hand down i heard a wheeze....so i looked and couldnt find anything....only to eventually find the doe with her fawn.....probably about 125-140 yards out in the pasture....im not kidding either, she barely even had a clear view of me because of some overhang of a tree.....i was really surprised at being busted there....
Old 09-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Busted by a deer? No.

BUT! My wife found a woman's phone # in my pants pocket once. LOL
Old 09-12-2005, 03:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes,
In Maryland I was in a stand. The wind was blowing very hard. I notice a buck coming down off a small ridge. He was eye ball to eye ball with me. I blinked and he hauled butt to my left. I pointed my 30-30 Stevens in a clearing that I thought he would run through. He did and I pulled the trigger. He fell to the ground. This was my best deer shot ever.
Chuck

Old 09-12-2005, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

not by a deer......but a jake turkey...called him in opening day with a big ole longbeard......the jake RAN to me and passed up the longbeard strutting at 40yds.....i was waiting for the longbeard to quit struttin and come a few more yards.....the jake ran straight to my feet and looked at me eye to eye...almost bumped my muzzle!! i knew i couldnt blink...and didnt....for a long time..tears poured out of my eyes.....after what seemed hours i finally blinked.....sure enough PUTT!! PUTT PUTT!!! long beard heard it and snuck away...jake stood there another few minutes
Old 09-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I got spotted bare AZZ one time. I had a 1 piece jump suit and a long walk into my tree stand. It was around 3 pm and the sun was really hot since it was early bow season. By the time I got to the stand I was sweating and the climb up the stand really got to me. I figured I would strip down for a few minutes up in the stand and cool off. The stand was down in a swamp and in the shade so it was working real well. Just about the time I started to get cold and was ready to pull the suit up a deer walked into the area and started to stare at me. I had to freeze and started to get real cold. I lasted for what seemed like an eternity and then couldn't take it any longer and moved so the deer would run away. Long story short nothing ever came back to that stand. Word must have spread through the deer community that strange things were going on in the swamp. True story.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:13 AM

Never busted for blinking. When I get into a staring contest with deer, I usually squint my eyes so they cannot see me blink or see the shine in my eyes. I've been busted when slightly moving my foot to open up my shooting stance. Nothing hurts more than driving home after a day's hunt knowing you were busted for the slightest movement!