Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Have You Ever Been Busted By Blinking? >

Have You Ever Been Busted By Blinking?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Have You Ever Been Busted By Blinking?

Well, I can't post a new poll so I just wanted to find out if anyone else has ever been busted by a deer for blinking when they where looking at you. The last time it happened to me was when a nice 10 pointer was wondering what that blob was up in a tree. I was looking at him and blinked. He took off like a bat outa H3||. Whenever I look at a deer approaching me now, I squint.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Have You Ever Been Busted By Blinking?

Next time a deer looks at you up in a tree....Just grin at them.....Been doing it for years...you gotta let them know that you don't mean them any harm....Works even better if you just flick your tail and resume what you were doing...Make sure you don't wink at them...did that to a doe once....the buck got jealous and started snorting and rubbing a tree...Hope this helps...Good Luck
Old 09-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Nope didn't know it was illeagle. Got busted for driveing 70 MPH in a 55 zone the other day.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Turkey yes , deer no . They don't see that well .
They have very limited depth perception as a consequence of their eyes being nearly on the sides of their heads . It gives them about 310 degrees of peripheral but they are somewhat "nearsighted". More likely he caught a stray whiff of you .
Old 09-06-2005, 06:52 PM

I agree with kevin. deer are smart but I don't think they saw you blink!
as for squinting, i wouldn't do it, too much work. if you're that worried try camo sunglasses.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes - been busted many times, years ago. Thats why I try never to make eye contact with a deer when its staring directly at me within 30-40 yrds. I will hunker down in stand or hide behind tree. I kill deer every year using this tactic. No EYE contact. If no eye contact you won't blink.

I rarely stand up in a stand but when confronted by deer while standing,I will stand stone cold still and look down so as not to make that eye contact.

I firmly believe predators often cause prey to flee simply by direct eye contact. Man is seen as a predator. The eyes of a predator put fear into its prey.

Might sound crazy but I'm stickin to my story
Old 09-07-2005, 02:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh yes they can tell when you blink and dont try and stare them down either
Old 09-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the predator type response above, do NOT make eye contact, when I have one staring at me I either look at the feet or the butt end. Whenever I have made eye contact they seem to spook. I have had several deer inside 10 yards staring right at me with the head bob and all and eventually settle down and feed as long as I either stare away from the eyes or even close mine for a few seconds.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:20 AM

I never stare at a deer for the simple fact thet they will view you as a preditor and they will be alarmed. And I also think a deer can deffinetly see you blink!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with the eye contact more than the blinking being the cause. I've had bear come in and look at me in the stand with no problem. But they disappear as soon as I make eye contact with them...and this is one predator to another. I use a leafy-cut camo head cover that has a cut-out for my eyes and a little brim. I pull the brim down over my eyes and look through the mesh to avoid the eye contact.

Quick Reply: Have You Ever Been Busted By Blinking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.