Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Busted

Old 01-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Busted

I glacned at my bows today and noticed something BAD wrong... My beloved RedWing Hunter is dead. I'd left it strung up while hanging on the rack and it just looked completely wrong. The tiller was obviously way outta whack. On inspection... The top limbhad completely delaminated.The belly glass is flapping loose all the way from the base of the recurve to the fadeout.[]

I shot so well with that bow too.Ah, well. I was afraid it wasn't going to last.Iknew I was stressing it because itreally was tooshort for my draw length. At least I'm left withsome fondmemories.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Busted

Dang Arthur, that really sux. Seems like you just got that bow & sounded like you really really liked it. I hope you find an even purtier one soon (in a longer version more compatible w/your knuckle-draggin arms[8D]).
Old 01-24-2006, 05:40 AM

Man when it rains it pours, no shooting and now your bow breakes on ya. Hay at least ya got a few more to use, if that happened to me I would be out of luck and a bow for a long time.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear that Art, any chance you could get it re-laminated. Seems like you really liked that bow.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:52 PM

All the more reason to have more than one bow!!!

Sure sucks to lose a looker and a shooter though.......
Old 01-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

.......*sound of me running home to unstring all of my bows.*[:-]

I don't stress them quite like "ape manP, but probably more than most yanking 50# 28" bows to about 29.5" front of riser.

I did just notice the end serving on my Bear Kodiak Hunter string crapped the bed and I'm pivoting that string on the bare strands........
Old 01-25-2006, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I glacned at my bows today and noticed something BAD wrong... My beloved RedWing Hunter is dead. I'd left it strung up while hanging on the rack and it just looked completely wrong. The tiller was obviously way outta whack. On inspection... The top limbhad completely delaminated.The belly glass is flapping loose all the way from the base of the recurve to the fadeout.[]

I shot so well with that bow too.Ah, well. I was afraid it wasn't going to last.Iknew I was stressing it because itreally was tooshort for my draw length. At least I'm left withsome fondmemories.

Hard to show me how to hit a deer at 20 yards in high country with that antique. Sounds like some reliable gear to get the job done right. HA! I can visulize deer running all through the canyon from the sound of cracking and delaminating gear. I guess you can always pack in two extra recurves along with your 60 pound pack, just in case you need it. Hey, is that my violin you’re playing? Just playing with ya...sorry you lost an old friend.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think there's any way of relaminating it, Bob. But, I've got the bow. I can use it to make a pattern for a form and make a replica, with a couple of exceptions. Maybe stretch it out to 62" and reinforce the tips for fastflight string. Not to mention using modern glue instead of URAC 185!

It'll be pretty darn hard to replicate the fadeouts on the riser though. The fadeouts are much longer and thinner than any I've ever tried. Bob Lee is a true master craftsman and I'm just a shade tree bow hack.

Might be easier to make a takedown version of it.... hmmm...

MilDot, this is the second recurve I've broken in 50 years of shooting.Just a coupleof months shyof 51 years, actually. I've busted a heckuva lot more wheelie bows than that. I reckonrecurves area darn sight more reliable than any compound ever thought about being.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jezz, Art you even get harrassed over here. [8D]
Old 01-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh well.

Quick Reply: Busted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.