Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

velvet bucks

Old 08-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default velvet bucks

hey guys, just wondering how many places have seen their bucks shedding their velvet yet. here in illinois i havent seen any who have shed yet, but does that mean that their racks are still growing, and if so, how much?? i know it differs from place to place, but im assuming that their antlers are probably not gonna grow much more, but i could be wrong...
Old 08-24-2005, 04:23 PM

Default RE: velvet bucks

Yeah, I was kind of wondering when they were going to start rubbing that stuff off myself. I thought it would be early Sept.....
Old 08-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well up here in North Alabama if they rub off thier velvet we can't even SEE thier rack LOL ....

DD

Old 08-24-2005, 05:25 PM

I haven't seen any without velvet yet. The should be coming off in Illinois any time soon. The days are getting a bit cooler. Some racks might still be groing but that is the yearling and young bucks. The mature bucks are mostly done by now. It only take 4 months for a deer to grow a full rack and antlers can grow up to a 1/2 inch a day, sometimes more.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:49 PM

seen a spike(although they were atleast 10" spikes) here at work yesterday........still in full velvet........... wish it would have been killed last year..........it had 10" spikes then too.........
Old 08-24-2005, 06:20 PM

How do you know it was the same deer? i find it hard to believe that without a bold physical feature, you can know its the same deer. I also highly doubt the same deer grew spikes two years in a row. possible, but highly unlikely.

i havent seen any shedding yet. Last year, I saw the first rubs in Iowa roughly August 25..so we shoudl be seeing them right around now. Those will be early. In NE Iowa, Southern Wisconsin, Northern IL, you'll be seeing a few rubs here and there around fields right now or in the near future, and about september 1-7, you'll be seeing a pile of them.

slayer
Old 08-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

There were a couple guys postin' in the Northeast forum that they already saw bucks sheddin' velvet a week or two back. My gamecam pics from the time haven't shown any but I haven't picked any new ones up for about two weeks. Should be any time now if they haven't already started.