Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Velvet Bucks

Old 07-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Velvet Bucks

theoretically: what would happen if a deer killed in the deer contest were in velvet? how would that be scored? just wondering since someone mentioned that for the opening of bow season in ky the deer may still be in velvet and i'll be hunting that weekend.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Velvet Bucks

I have a great chance of harvesting a buck in the velvet with our season opening August 30th. Good Question.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a good point. I believe P&Y rules state that antlers must be measured hard i.e. no velvet on them. Since we're using the P&Y scoring system are we going to make people remove the velvet if they want an official score, or should we adopt some sort of system for reducing the score by a certain percentage to compensate for the velvet?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup do something... but I think it would be a shame to exclude anyone that harvests a velvet buck.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Last year they decided to just accept the score with the velvet on. An added bonus if someone were lucky enough to take a vevlet clad buck.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Last year they decided to just accept the score with the velvet on. An added bonus if someone were lucky enough to take a vevlet clad buck.
That sounds like the most efficient way of dealing with the issue as either having the person remove the velvet or subtracting a percentage sounds both too damaging and too complicated respectively.

Ofcourse, we folks who don't start until October will now have a disadvantage.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:11 AM

If they are lucky enough to get one in velvet then let them measure it with velvet. Sure it would add some inches, but I wouldn't want someone that wanted to mount it with the velvet on not put it in the contest.

good luck
RBBH
Old 07-21-2005, 08:07 AM

I agree with just letting the score stand with the velvet on. Season opens Sept. 15 and I might be lucky enough to get one that hasnt' started to shed it. That would sure look nice.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

our season in KY opens sept, 3rd.. Most bucks ares til lin velvet then
Old 07-21-2005, 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: shed33

Yup do something... but I think it would be a shame to exclude anyone that harvests a velvet buck.
I agree. Not only that but if I feel the deer is a shooter and I take it it is wall quality and I would skip entering it if it meant I had to scrape the velvet. It's the same way I feel about the book. A trophy in velvet means more to me then winning a contest or having my name printed in a book.

Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: Velvet Bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.