Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer management help?

Old 08-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Deer management help?

Hey everybody!

I have a question for all you guys and girls out there. Do you believe deer management can be obtained in an area that runs dogs for hunting? I am hunting a new area this year and it is basically my property but I dont actually own it ( brother-in-law's). If it were mine I would put up a low fence to keep dogs out. But that is not an option.
Not to stir up any bad feelings but I am not fond of hunt clubs and the reason is that I have been a member of a few different clubs and its all politics and arguing about where to hunt and who gets the better stand and blah...blah...blah. Now I'm not downing any of your clubs out there I am just talking about persomal experience.
Anyway my main question is do you think management is possible on this 80acre piece of land or am I just wasting time. I have already put in three food plots and once the weather turns cold there will be about three more going in.

Thanks for any replies and remember I am not trying to start a debate about club hunting or still hunting.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Deer management help?

Yes and no . Yes you can if the dogs are kept out . No , you won't be able to keep the dogs out if the hunt clubs there are anything like some of the coon hunters here . Deer can't really be "managed" on a place that small anyway , all you can do is attract them .
Old 08-24-2005, 01:42 PM

Deer can't really be "managed" on a place that small anyway , all you can do is attract them .
100% true - IMO warm/cool season food plotscombined with native quality vegetation management and reduced pressurewould be the key for this area to hold/attract deer. You can do great things with 80 acres, but unfortunately, your "management" goals will inevitably depend on the attitude and huntingpracticesof the surrounding property owners. I wish I had 80 acres to myself (state employee[:@])- consider yourself fortunate, and do the best with what you have.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

IRON I DOUBT YOU COULD MANAGE DEER ON JUST 80 ACRES WITH A HIGH FENCE MUCH LESS A LOW ONE ...JUST NOT ENOUGH LAND IN MY OPINION ...HERE IN ALABAMA AND SOUTHERN TENNESSEE THE TRACTS OF LAND ARE FAIRLY SMALL ...MOST FARMS ARE 100 TO 200 ACRES AND YOU CANT "MANAGE" DEER ON THOSE ...A BUCK IS GOING TO ROAM A LOT FURTHER THEN THAT ..IF YOU TRY TO MANAGE YOUR FARM SOMEONE ELSE ON THE OTHER FARM WILL KILL HIM ...I THINK ITS A WASTE OF TIME ON 80 ACRES ...JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION.

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 08-24-2005, 05:29 PM

It's not a waste of time but definitely very unlikely goals of management. Like said, small tracks of land are incapable of "managing" deer but are very good at attracting and building deer than managing. Those food plots will offer nutrition and food for the deer in the cold months and they vastly need it. In the hot months, they will need it even more. You are very lucky to have that piece of land. Do all you can with it and build a good herd.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input everyone.I realize I cant manage the deer but the thought of a fence to keep the hunting dogs out so the deer can come and in and hang out aint so bad is it!
Some day hopefully I'll have my very own farm and it will be super sweet! I figure if I start save money now I can purchase a farm by the time I'm 103![:@]

Thanks Guys
Old 08-25-2005, 07:09 AM

Pour the corn to them! Very difficult to manage 80 acres, but what you can do is draw them to your placewith food. You must have food plotsyear round ( I plant soybeans in all of my foodplots in the summer). Also, if you have oak trees, fertilize them! Also, talk to your neighbors and see if they have any management goals. I know some dog hunting clubs who only shoot mature bucks (believe it or not!)Good luck.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Call me crazy, but 6 food plots on 80 acres is way too many. We don't want over 1 per 60 or more.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

The food plots are small, the biggest one as of now is only 1/4 acre. I will most likely end planting the whole powerline that cuts the property from corner to corner.