Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Management

Old 02-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default Deer Management

Hey guys, I'm doing a 10 page research paper and would like to get some public opinion on my topic. If you have any input, whether you're from Illinois or not, I'd be glad to hear it.

My research question is:

What have the effects of the deer herd management system been in Illinois, and can this system be improved?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Management

If it is a man made plan then it can be improved upon.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, what a great topic. There is a bunch of ways you go with this. I am assuming are talking about deer management at the State level, such as the two buck rule. If that is the case you can always write about how the State's management of the deer herd (in the early days) helped to produce the hunting craze that is now Illinois. You can mention how because of the great deer herd we have in Illinois, the State continue to increase the number of out-of-state tags that are being issued every year and the revenue that is bringing the State, as well as how the ever increasing number of out-of-state hunters help small communities thrive. You could all write about how the ever increasing number of out-of-state hunters are causing hunting lease price to sky rocket, how that is a positive for the farmer, but a negatvie for Illinois hunter that can no longer afford to hunt on private ground. This would is a great topic that should provide you with endless material to write about. In fact, I would love to see the final product if you wouldn't mind.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

Wow, what a great topic. There is a bunch of ways you go with this. I am assuming are talking about deer management at the State level, such as the two buck rule. If that is the case you can always write about how the State's management of the deer herd (in the early days) helped to produce the hunting craze that is now Illinois. You can mention how because of the great deer herd we have in Illinois, the State continue to increase the number of out-of-state tags that are being issued every year and the revenue that is bringing the State, as well as how the ever increasing number of out-of-state hunters help small communities thrive. You could all write about how the ever increasing number of out-of-state hunters are causing hunting lease price to sky rocket, how that is a positive for the farmer, but a negatvie for Illinois hunter that can no longer afford to hunt on private ground. This would is a great topic that should provide you with endless material to write about. In fact, I would love to see the final product if you wouldn't mind.
Thanks alot, it's always nice to get some opinion from other people to come up with ideas that I hadn't thought of yet. Everything you said I think I could definitely work into my paper somewhere. I figured if I had to do a paper I might as well do it on something that I care to learn about, right?

Well thanks, and I'll be sure to try and get you a finished copy- might be a while though, the first 3 pages (intro) are due in a month, and the final paper is due in April.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be looking forward to reading it. When I was in school, I took the same approach. If I have to do the work, then it is going to be on something I care about and something I have some intrest in. I could not begin to tell you how many papers I turned in on deer hunting, I am sure my professors got tired of reading them, but at least I enjoyed writing them. Good luck, and PM if you need any help looking for information. I still have a lot of the sites I used bookmarked.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

Alright, I might take you up on those links at some point. If you're still interested in the Deer Management, then here are afew links to some good articles that I found.

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/pso/article/davenport_deer_management/

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/pso/article/non_resident_deer_fees_raised/

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/pso/article/a_case_for_a_deer_federation/
Old 02-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

What's with you and all the papers? I went my entire college career writing only 3 papers? Journalism major? geez.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

haha, Communication Studies (some journalism but mostly public relations and advertising) but I'm in Composition II right now. Professor is crazy!