Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

rattling,scents, calling

Old 08-20-2005, 03:19 PM

Default RE: rattling,scents, calling

I dont like using scents to much, but tickling the horns and using a grunt call has been very effective for me in almost everywhere i've hunted
Old 08-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: armyhuntinguy

I dont like using scents to much, but tickling the horns and using a grunt call has been very effective for me in almost everywhere i've hunted

10-4, good buddy!
Old 08-21-2005, 03:24 PM

Well, in my experience in the UP, I have tried scents and rattling and this will be the 1st year I use calls too. Last year was the 1st year I used rattling and I had absolutely no success. It seemed to scare them away more then bring them towards me. This is probably due to a little bit higher hunting pressure and as someone else said, the deer usually don't get the opportunnity to mature so they arent as agressive as an older buck and tend to be intimidated by fights rather than enticed. Last month, I bought a Hunter Specialties grunt call and a Lohman fawn call. I still have my rattle bag too. I'll pull out all the stops to bag a deer this year!
Old 08-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

now that you mention it there arnt as many big bucks in my area as there would be in iowa ill. kansas. etc
Old 08-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have thought the same thing about scent away but never was clever enough to put it like this:

The best scent eliminating spray would be scent zapper or scent away even though the amount of scent away that comes out with each pump is like standing infront of a fire hose
Old 08-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: UPHunter89

Well, in my experience in the UP, I have tried scents and rattling and this will be the 1st year I use calls too. Last year was the 1st year I used rattling and I had absolutely no success. It seemed to scare them away more then bring them towards me. This is probably due to a little bit higher hunting pressure and as someone else said, the deer usually don't get the opportunnity to mature so they arent as agressive as an older buck and tend to be intimidated by fights rather than enticed. Last month, I bought a Hunter Specialties grunt call and a Lohman fawn call. I still have my rattle bag too. I'll pull out all the stops to bag a deer this year!
What time of year?
Old 08-22-2005, 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Illini_Sportsman

ORIGINAL: UPHunter89

What time of year?
Week of Thanksgiving...Why?