Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer rattling/scents

Old 09-13-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Deer rattling/scents

I am going deer hunting in a new place in late october, just as the rut will be getting started in NY. I have never rattled or used scents or grunt calls before andI was wondering if this would be a good time to use them. Also I heard that when rattled in most deer with come in down wind, so what would be the best scent to use, buck urine or doe estreus? I am new to this because whereI usually hunt there are a ton of deer and the doe to buck ratio is out of wack so it would never work. Well any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:59 AM
Spike

Default RE: Deer rattling/scents

Well, I hate to see your question languishing for days so I'll take a crack at it. Late October would be a good time to rattle, call, and use scents. Assuming the pre rut isn't really going yet, i.e. they haven't begun to chase and harass the does, bucks still are very interested in each other and light rattling and/or calling can definutely bring them in. When you're setting up, put out some buck urine in a couple spots 20 yards or so upwind of you. That will help convince the bucks that circle downwind that they are hearing the real thing. Just don't go at the horns too hard as it's probably too early for two bucks to be fighting over a hot doe. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer rattling/scents

Late October would be a good time to rattle, call, and use scents.
I would agree. At that time of the year I am already making the transition to an estrous urine as well as using the "can" doe in estrus bleat on regular occasions. I will also use the bag "rattlin' antlers" sporadically on any given hunt.