Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

rattling,scents, calling

Old 08-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default rattling,scents, calling

i believe that in some areas calling can work and scents and rattling not do anything or other ways around..what do you say
Old 08-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: rattling,scents, calling

I don't know what you're getting at here, but I will say that rattling is definitely effective outside of Texas.It's an awesome feeling to have a buck, no matter how big, come hauling @$$ into your stand location when you bang the horns together. Last year was the first year I really tried it and I must say I honestly had at least a 50% or more success rate as far as having a buck respond. I know most of that can be attributed to luck and the area I hunt has a lot of deer with little pressure, but still, it certainly works more than, in my opinion, scents and grunting unless the deer is actually in sight.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

no like in some areas if you rattled nothing would happen but using a can or grunt would have deer coming in on a string
Old 08-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think things work relative to the deer hunting situation you are in. Like in Illini's situation where the deer aren't pressured too much and there's probably a lot of mature bucks and a good buck to doe ratio, rattling would work great because of the breeding competition between the bucks.

In areas like where I grew up in WV, where the buck to doe ratio was way off kilter (back in the day) and most bucks never got the chance to mature, then rattling would not be as effective b/c the bucks (since there is a limited number) don't have to compete and therefore fight (rattle) for the attention of the more numerous does.
In general though, all deer vocalize to different extents and all deer use scents as a way to communicate, therefore, when used properly and at the right times, I believe scents and calling is probably more effective in a wider range of situations. Although rattling can be very exciting if given the right circumstances.

Don't be afraid to try whatever though in any geographical or demographical circumstance, especially if most others in your area are to stubborn to try something new.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

i get what your saying
Old 08-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Hillbillyhunter, I'd like to know where all these mature bucks are because I haven't seen them yetNo, I've only hunted that particular property just last season and that was it so I'm sure there's some big boys out there. We did see a fairly good 10-point in a beanfield one night when we went in to put stands up, but he got arrowed by another hunter just weeks later. It sounds funny when guys out of the region talk about the midwest like it's heaven. Believe me, you still have to work to find that monster. I've never had a big'un walk by my stand, only seen them a long ways off and in the back of other guy's trucks. These boys that go out and shoot at least one huge buck every year kill me because I don't know how they do it. I get just as shook up shooting a doe with archery equipment, so I don't need horns as much as the next guy. They're certainly a bonus though.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Last year I hunted in a TOUGH WMA . 17 deer killed out of 1000 hunters. After striking out alot I talked to a successful hunter. He said he would never hunt without his calls. He also told me how to use them. On Jan. 1st in Florida ..while reading my Bible in my Summit aI gave one call on the Primos 'Can'. in about 20 minutes a spike strutted out . He fell dead in his tracks. I believe a little faith and a deer call can go a long ways.
Chuck
Old 08-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I tried rattling in Pa and it just does not work like it did in Iowa or texas.the buck up here seem to run from a fight.Callinf is IFY,but had some success.Scent ,My old cow poop juice
Old 08-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

car ive rattled in one of my hunting locatoins and my fathers freindd in his probly 30 minutes..by car away and herattles em in all the time...thats what im trying to say..just like you mentioned
Old 08-19-2005, 11:24 AM

Scents do work. Its just how the person uses them that decided if they work.
Code blue urine's are the best then buckstop* scents.
The best scent eliminating spray would be scent zapper or scent away even though the amount of scent away that comes out with each pump is like standing infront of a fire hose.

Quick Reply: rattling,scents, calling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.