Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Too Small in Texas?

Old 09-26-2002, 07:38 AM

Default Too Small in Texas?

My grown boys and I are looking at 160 acre small Texas Ranch that is high fenced. There is lots of game...white tails, axis, hogs, turkey, etc. We are worried that 160 acres is too small to properly manage the deer. There is good pasture, water, and we would feed, but need some advice.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Too Small in Texas?

Longhorn are you looking to buy the ranch or hunt the ranch?

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 09-26-2002, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

What part of texas? what are the no. of deer in the herd? Give us more info, you mite get some flack on this board about the high fence but thats ok they are still great guys with lots of great info. Welcome to the site.

Old 09-26-2002, 08:33 AM

Thanks for response. We are going to buy the ranch.
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Longhorn are you looking to buy the ranch or hunt the ranch?

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
&lt;img border=&quot;0&quot; src=&quot;http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb....jpg&quot;&gt;
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 09-26-2002, 08:47 AM

I agree about high fence, we've always hunted &quot;open&quot; land. Location is in the hill country near Rocksprings (40 miles southwest of Kerville). The herd looks to have about 10 to 15 white tail bucks,we saw 5 thay were 8+ and several smaller, about 30 white tail does, 3 &quot;summer&quot; axis bucks and about 15 axis does. But...this was all on a drive through. Thanks for the response. I can handle the flack, and appreciate the help. (by the way...should I respond to the responses like this, or should I edit my original posting?)
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
What part of texas? what are the no. of deer in the herd? Give us more info, you mite get some flack on this board about the high fence but thats ok they are still great guys with lots of great info. Welcome to the site.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 09-26-2002, 09:06 AM

Have you tried contacting a county extension agent, or even TxP&W? They might could give you some good ideas on the # of animals that 160 acres could support and a management program for them. My guess is that they'll suggest that you keep that hog population in serious check. Also, I would post this question on the Quality Deer Management forum. Those folks know their stuff. Welcome to the board, always good to have another orangeblood on here.

Edited by - GoTres on 09/26/2002 10:15:52
Old 09-26-2002, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Longhorn you mite want to thin out some of the herd mostly the does, I don't think 160 ac. will support that many deer. I live in wimberley not to far away if you need any help with anything let me know. Do they have feeders set up? If they don't you mite want to set some up before winter. The way you are responding to the posts is ok with me, lots of luck with your new land.