Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to deal with trespassers?

Old 08-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default How to deal with trespassers?

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and this seems like a good place with lots of good info and good people. My question is how do you guys deal with trespassers? I have a new place to hunt this year and Ive have noticed that there are atv tracks that go around a gate on the powerline that cuts through the middle of my property. I put some fencing that runs well into the woods and I'll find out tomarrow if that has worked yet. I think if the fence is pushed down of something like that it will be time to put out some home made spike strips.

The other thing I noticed is someone shot my POSTED sign about five hundred times with some buckshot! There is a hunt club right next door and I havent met the guys yet but hopefully there will be no problems there.

I was just wondering about some of your experiences with this sort of thing.

Thanks

Old 08-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How to deal with trespassers?

Most of the time, notifying the proper authorities is about the best thing you can do. And it keeps you from getting into trouble.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ARCHER I THINK IF IT WERE ME I WOULD ALWAYS MAKE SURE I HAD A CAMERA (CELL PHONE CAMERA WILL DO)IN MY TRUCK ..IF I CONFRONT A TRESSPASSER I WOULD APPROCH HIM WITH THE CAMERA AND EXPLAIN HE WAS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY AND ASK HIM KINDLY TO LEAVE ..I WOULD ALSO TAKE HIS PICTURE AND IF YOU CAN GET A PICTURE OF HIS VEHICLE THAT I AM SURE WOULD HELP ... EXPLAIN TO HIM THAT IF HE OR HIS TRUCK IS FOUND ON THE PROPERTY AGAIN YOU WILL TURNTHE MATTEROVER TO THE GAME WARDENALONG WITH HIS PICTURE .... ITS WORKED WELL FOR ME ..THE CAMERA SEEMS TO BE A VERY GOOD DETURANT ..

DD
Old 08-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

The only problem is that the person or persons is not using a truck. Most likely it some kids that ride along the power lines in th surrounding area. The property is gated and the only people that have the combo for the lock is me, the farmer and the cotton guy that puts the traps out. Like I said I'll find out tomarrow if the fencing worked. If it did not I will be on a head hunting mission. I am normaly a laid back type person but if I am crossed it is not a pretty site.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:28 AM
Typical Buck

Carry a camera. Call the CO. Railroad spikes will flatten ATV tires with out making a hazard for people walking.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

JACK I CAN'T HELP BUT THINK THAT YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE ...YOU DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT TO GUYS WHO HAVE NO RESPECT FOR A NO HUNTING SIGN AND THEY ARE SUBJECT TO BURN YOUR CABIN , SOAP YOUR FOOD PLOTS OR STEAL OR DESTROY YOUR STANDS ...YOU CAN'T PATROL YOUR PROPERTY 100% OF THE TIME ... BUT WITH THAT BEING SAID IT IS YOUR PROPERTY AND I SUPPOSE YOU CAN DO IT THE HARD WAY ... IM JUST SPEAKING OF EXPERIENCE ... BUT TO EACH HIS OWN

DD
Old 08-12-2005, 08:47 AM

just make the trail rough as hell...then they will get sick of it

(but that sucks for you too then)
Old 08-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Right where they are going around the fences is where I'd place the "jacks". Make the jacks out of 16p nails or a little bigger. Weld them in a cross then add another nail 90-degres to the first cross. Placement works well in puddles as the water hides them well.

Put up a sign saying property has been fitted with "devices" meant to puntcture tires of trespassers - travel is at own risk. These jacks work great, I speak from experience.

One draw back is that when they hit them, they can carry in the tire for a bit and finding them ain't easy (you don't want them in your tires) so we only do a few at a time.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:01 AM

I'd have to agree with DD on this. You ever hear the story of the watermelon farmer.....to make it short:some kids were robbing his watermelons everynight, so the farmer injected some arsenic into a watermelon and put a sign in his patch saying "beware one of the watermelons is poisoned" (which would hopefully deter the kids).....however, the very next morning the farmer wakes up to find a reply to his sign......now there are two!Moral of the story, I'dbe very hesitantto damaging their 4 wheelers....I suggestyou let the proper authorities take care ofit.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Very good advice 4buck!

Quick Reply: How to deal with trespassers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.