Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

salt block or not?????

Old 08-08-2005, 06:51 PM

Default salt block or not?????

i have found a very nice whitetail buck, only problem is he is on a private section of land. i have scouted the whole area(ofcoarse not the private) i have only found 1 water hole.
last night i saw the big buck and a few smaller ones, at daylight this morning i sat in the ground blind by the water hole, it is 1.5 miles away from the feild where the bucks were. and one of the little bucks came in for water!
does this mean all those bucks will get water here?
and if so would a salt block around here keep them close longer? and make them come back more often?
i have until sept. 1 to find someway to better my chances at this buck! thanks
Old 08-09-2005, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: salt block or not?????

You might want to check your local game laws. Here in Illiniois, salt blocks are illegal.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

i have found a very nice whitetail buck, only problem is he is on a private section of land. i have scouted the whole area(ofcoarse not the private) i have only found 1 water hole.
A mature buck will get his water from another source other than a water hole.
Unless it is very dry like a drout.
And as far as a salt block that would be concedered baiting so check with your
WildLife resource people.

You could always buy some food plot seeds and plant it close to the water hole.
And that is not concedered baiting and would probbly bring
Him close better than a salt block.

Any Way Good Luck
Old 08-09-2005, 09:19 AM

Yes, do as other posters have recommended and confirm you state hunting laws. I've never used salt blocks before, but come late October and early November I use corn to entice deer into my area.

I like to hunt naturally until middle/end of September without any bait, but it's legal here in NJ to use bait in most, but not all areas. I revert to using bait in November as I hunt private land with the sole purpose to thinning the herd and thin we do. But, to do it efficiently, we bait.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:48 AM

Hey manboy.. HEre in PA we can use bait/feed but we have to have it out 30 days before season. I dont think a salt block works nearly as well as a molasses block. RIght now I have 2 feeders set up with corn and a molasses corn mix. I am going thru about 100 pounds a week. My goal is to keep my bucks interested in staying on my side of the road and out of the nature sanctuary.. so far so good.. Dont know how much they will stay after 9/1 when i pull the bait.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:37 AM

o.k. thanks for the replys. in wyoming it is ilegal to hunt over a bait sight, or a salt block. that is why i said i have until sept. to get the deer to where i can hunt them.i will be useing the salt block to give them something to do besides get a drink and run back to private. i am also putting out some apples, and maybe watermelon. i can do this untill season starts. then it will be just maybe a habit for the deer to look around for something to eat? do u think it will work?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:39 AM

oh, and my last option is some kind of plant? like a food plot. our season is sept.1-30 and nov. 1-20 so maybe a food plot that is a fall growth? thanks
Old 08-09-2005, 01:14 PM

It is too late for a salt block to do you any good this year. If you put one out it will start washing into the ground this winter and be good for the animals next year and for many years to come. Place it on top of a stump or fallen tree and you won't believe the results down the road.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:30 PM

A salt block won't hurt anything, but I have found it difficult to change the habits of an old, mature buck. The key for me is to figure out what the buck likes to do, where, and when he likes to do it. Their desire for food and sex are the only two things that will probably change his habits at this point. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

i use salt blocks with VH SOYA SAUCE the deer love it ..if i use molasses ,it will be over-run with bear's ..and ounce they go on the bait GOOD-BY DEER