Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scrape drippers

Old 09-24-2002, 05:13 AM

Default scrape drippers

has anyone used these with great success? but i would be using it on public hunting land. is this wise? this 18 point heavy boddied buck i have been nuthing for 5 years is hard to get him and is very tricky.
he has this huge scrape in a funnel that abutt's the swamp i hunt. he seems to come by there at night and rips up tree's about 6-8" in dia.
i am thinking of getting one to lure him out in the day time.

i would like info on this cause i am heading up to maine this week end to cut in some shooting lanes.

Old 09-24-2002, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scrape drippers

Quilly, A buddy of mine left one in the woods while on a hunting trip to Old Town Maine last year. When he came back the next weekend, it was gone. He never did replace it. I don't know why, but he is the only one of us that ever used one. I wish I could tell you how good they are, but I just don't have a clue.....Good Luck!

Old 09-24-2002, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Illegal to use the drip here in Montana, cheque your regs out first, later Bobby
Old 09-25-2002, 03:19 AM

they sell them in maine at the kittery trading post. so i would think they are legal up there.

jimmy S...

i would use it the week i am up there. and then take it down when i leave.

Old 09-25-2002, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quilly, Because the season opens later in Maine this year, I will be hunting NH Opening Day instead. Possibly goin'up before Thanksgiving for a few days. I have hunted Maine for almost 20 yrs. I have hunted, Old Town, Bradford, Medford, Lincoln, Burlington/Lowell areas as well as Scootic (sp) Lake area. I usually..(slightly better than 50/50) managed to do well, although all my deer (all bucks except for one big doe) we're almost all the same...6-8 points and weighting 150-170. I wisk you luck this season and the one great thing about hunting in Maine, is that when you hear or see a buck, you have a chance at it being a real monster. Let us know how your scrape drip works for ya.....Jimmy S

Old 09-26-2002, 12:51 AM
Spike

I used one last year and it worked great. I was hunted 10 days without seeing the buck I was wanting. I put a scrape dripper out a week before gun season. the buck I was hunting was nocternal I would hunt all day and not see him and the next morning there would be fresh scrapes. opening morning about a hour after daylight here he came and I killed him. a nice 10 point. He was a old deer. I plan on using it this year to. I used active scrape scent.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:15 AM

Bud, I've heard from a friend of mine that his worked,but you also have to remember that a buck will follow a real doe before he does a fake one( store bought) and you have to be there at the same that he is, and I do really hope you get him, good luck.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:28 AM

i think it might work getting that 18 pointer out of his hiding place.
but i don't think it will be smart to put in where i hunt. i am just afraid someone will see it and hunt the place i put it maybe taking him.
also since i don't get to hunt opening season cause the instaters start the saturday and we get to start monday. what do you think if i got out there that sunday to put it in there and get otu quick. or do you think it would not be worth it cause of possibly spooking him?
or putting it the first day i hunt that spot and leave it there the wekk i hunt?