Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scrape Drippers

Old 06-12-2003, 09:49 PM

Default Scrape Drippers

I was just wondering, I bought a new scrape dripper a few seasons ago, but it seems like every time I start seeing scrapes, I always tag out right before i get the dripper out. This thing claims to pattern the bucks to visit scrapes during the day time since it only drips out during the day. Has anyone actually seen drippers do what they are supposed to do, anyone actually SEEN the bucks checking the scrapes???
Old 06-13-2003, 05:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Scrape Drippers

Hi antlergetter ,
I use 2 scrape drippers during the season , and they can work as advertised . However , they drip in response to temperature change , not daylight . Yes , I' ve seen both bucks and does checking my mock scrapes . The hoofprints and enlargement of the scrape are also valuable clues if you check them every day . I primarily use them for checking out the local herd , vis a vis scouting . This gives me a good idea who' s in the neighborhood before I decide whether or not to hunt that area . You' re tagging out before you get the dripper out ? Sounds like you' re a much more successful hunter than me . Put the dripper out earlier so it has a chance to do it' s job .
Old 06-13-2003, 07:32 AM

I' ve found they freeze-up in the north when it gets below zero at night and it allows the buck to come in once and pattern the scent and not return anymore as it proves to not produce a hot doe or a trail that leads to one.I have more success with carrying in scent in a glass bottle and using it while I hunt and then taking it with me when I leave,that way if they come in to investigate you will be there and hopefully get a shot.I bought two drippers and never use them anymore.

woods
Old 06-13-2003, 08:02 AM

The best success I have had with drippers is to start them in August and keep them running for a few months. I have shot deer next to a dripper but have never seen a buck work the scrape, though I know it was being worked by does and bucks.

I don' t use them anymore because I have ruined a few good spots with them also. Very hard to keep it full and check it without leaving some sort of scent. And if the scent you use is not good things go south quick.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like they are more trouble than they are not! I think I will stay away from them for now.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:33 AM

I agree with our friend from Maine...these things freeze-up...don' t drip...seem to just sit there! I left one out all season and it was never less than 3/4 full. I thought that it might have been defective, so I bought another one...it didn' t drip either! Bucks seem to ignore them. I ended up leaving one up through January...when I went back to get it...it still had most of the lure in it!! Not a deer track in sight (snow on the ground)! Bring the scent with you and dispense as you hunt. I like using a drag line too! I have had deer follow my scent trail right to my stand! Happy as heck...looking for that doe. I have taken three bucks using this method. Good luck and save your money!