Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you rather tag Opening Day or the last day? >

Would you rather tag Opening Day or the last day?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you rather tag Opening Day or the last day?

Old 07-20-2005, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you rather tag Opening Day or the last day?

If I were in an area that's like the ones on the shows, I might wait until the end. If I had a line of bucks walking by my stand all day, every day it would be different. "10 pointer? Nah, it's only a 140". I'll wait for the next one.......". However, if that buck that comes by on opening day may very well be the only one I see, it's coming home on opening day.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:15 PM

i would rather tag last day if its a big buck. We have Big Buck Contest around here and theres nothing better than seein gthe look on the leaders face, last day, when a HOSS comes rollin into the shop. HAHA unless your the leader like i was last year and get BUMPED when it went to the score and you only lost by 10pts......
Old 07-20-2005, 06:36 PM

Last day for sure. I love just being in the woods so getting it over early would be horrible. I've killed deer early, during prime time,and late but by far the fewest have been when it gets so cold that most hunters have hung it up for the year which makes those deer some of the most rewarding to me.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Opening day because then I could move on to Ohio, Indiana, New York, Pa, Georgia, WVa. etc.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tagged opening day last year, although the season is over as fast as it began it takes a ton of pressure of me personally. I always feel like I have to connect. I still continue tagging does and studying other behavior and habits.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitely want opening day for the buck. I would then get a second tag for a doe.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:41 AM

If only one tag, then I would want the last day. Here in MI we get 2 buck tags, so not a problem taking one on the opener, but with spring turkey, we only get one. I shot a turkey an hour into the season last year and was actually kind of bummed. I had a couple weekends planned to hunt turkey and now i couldn't.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitely want opening day for the buck. I would then get a second tag for a doe.
There is no second tag for does. Some folks here replied with similar answers...

"I still continue tagging does and studying other behavior and habits."
"Takes the pressure off and we then try to fill a doe tag at a relaxed pace"

I would have to agree with these replied if shooting additional deer OK, but the post asked .."If you could only shoot one deer per year, when would you want to fill your tag...."

This is a tough answer for me...One thought is to tag opening day, relax the rest of the season when the pressure is off and help others during the remainder of the season.I would also have the opportunity to do other hunting, bird especially,...

The other side says, the end of the season because of the number of additional days spent hunting for deer.....Soooooo, my decidion would be...opening day. I would have the chance to do the things described above, especially considering my batting average over the many years on hunting New England (NH and Maine) is just about 50%...
Old 07-21-2005, 12:13 PM

Jimmy S,

With that explanation, I would definately tag opening day if the opportunity presented itself. Why chance not filling your tag at all?

You could hunt smaller game to be out in the woods or take a young'n out and teach them. I can't wait until my nephew and daughter are old enough to go out.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:59 PM

id rather bag a deer later in the season, beginning of rut maybe between middle and beginning of the rut not near the end then they sometime have a gamey taste, which if you marinade them gets rid of that but ya that way your not rushed you can look around and pick a deer instead of the first one you see!

Quick Reply: Would you rather tag Opening Day or the last day?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.