HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Would you rather tag Opening Day or the last day? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/106034-would-you-rather-tag-opening-day-last-day.html)

Jimmy S 07-19-2005 11:51 AM

Would you rather tag Opening Day or the last day?

If you could only shoot one deer per year, when would you want to fill your tag, Opening Day or later in the season.If you were hunting areas with small deer numbers (< 10 deer per square mile), would that make a difference?

BarnesX.308 07-19-2005 12:07 PM

RE: Would you rather tag Opening Day or the last day?

Opening day. Takes the pressure off and we then try to fill a doe tag at a relaxed pace. Plus - all the guys are up at camp on the first couple days. It's better when you can relive the hunt with your hunting buddies back at camp instead of calling them on the phone to tell them back at home after the season.

silentassassin 07-19-2005 12:10 PM

If I were hunting an area like you described I would rather tag on opening day. Because I would then move on to the next state that hopefully held more deer and made for a more enjoyable hunt. I want to get plenty of time in the woods but I also want to see deer.

psebwhntr16 07-19-2005 12:13 PM

Opening day. In Kentucky opening day is the 3rd of September, so most of the bucks are still in velvet. That would be an awesome hunt.

rybohunter 07-19-2005 12:30 PM

I've tagged out early in seasons. I was left to hunt othercritters or nothing at all. Give me the last day. I'm patient when it comes to hunting.

MA Jay 07-19-2005 12:36 PM

I would prefer opening day if I had any say. Other states and other animals would allow me to have a fulfilling season if I could only take 1 deer.

G2 Shooter 07-19-2005 01:02 PM

That's really a hard one for me. I would probably say opening day because of the chances for a better buck. But it's hot here on opening day which isn't fun and then it would be boring for the rest of the season

Luckily in my part of Maryland I can take as many doe as I want and 2 bucks during each season. :)

Freedom0115 07-19-2005 01:23 PM

Opening Day. As much as I love to hunt deer with a bow I also love to chase everything else (small game, waterfowl and predators) so I can indulge the things I can't when I still have an archery tag to fill!

Matthew V. (An outdoorsman) 07-19-2005 03:20 PM

I'd like to take on opening day. Get the big one before it realizes hunting season just opened.

cardeer 07-19-2005 03:23 PM

At my age and my condition.the earlier the better.